School of Continuing and Professional Studies
General Information  |  Facilities  |  General Regulations  |  Tuition, Fees, and Refunds  |  Degree Progam  |  Certificate Programs  |  Other Programs and Courses  |  Faculty

General Regulations

Admission Application for admission to the School of Continuing and Professional Studies’ courses and programs should be made at the center or program office where the student plans to study, or at the School of Continuing and Professional Studies’ main office in Zehmer Hall, on-Grounds in Charlottesville.

If a student applies for admission to a degree program offered at an SCPS regional center by another academic school of the University, such as the Curry School of Education or the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the decision regarding admission is the sole responsibility of the academic school of the University to which the student applies.

Academic Grievances Students who have a grievance related to a course, with a faculty member, or continuing and professional studies center, or program office director, are invited to discuss their grievance in the following manner:

  1. Concerns related to a course or faculty member, that cannot be resolved in a meeting between the student and appropriate faculty member should be discussed with the School of Continuing and Professional Studies center or program director. If the concern is not resolvable at this level, the concern will be filed with the dean of the University School in which the student is enrolled, such as the Curry School of Education. The grievance procedure of the academic school will be followed from this point.
  2. If the concern is related to the School of Continuing and Professional Studies center or program director, the grievance should be filed with the Dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies or the dean’s representative.
  3. If the concern is related to courses offered solely in the purview of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, the first step is to discuss the grievance with the regional center or program director. If the concern is not resolvable at this level, the grievance should be filed with the Dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies or the dean's representative.
  4. If the concern is related to the Vice President and Provost, appropriate documentation should be presented in writing to the President of the University.

Add/Drop The dates by which students may add or drop a course are established each academic year by the School of Continuing and Professional Studies centers and program offices. These dates may differ by center. Students should consult their center’s catalogs and program brochures to determine the deadlines for adding or dropping courses. After the last date for dropping a course, students must officially withdraw if they want to end their enrollment in a course.

Application of Courses to Degree Programs With the approval of the student's school of enrollment, a course taken through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies may be counted toward degree requirements. These courses would typically be included in the computation of grade point averages. Students should seek approval in advance; otherwise such courses may not apply toward a degree.

Attendance Instructors establish attendance and participation requirements for each of their courses. Such course requirements as examinations, oral presentations, laboratory experiments, participation in class discussion, etc., are not waived because of a student’s absence from class. Instructors may establish penalties when absences seriously hinder achievement in any course.

Auditors Students who wish to enroll in credit courses without receiving academic course credit may do so on a space available basis, with the permission of the instructor and center or program office director, by registering as auditors and paying the same tuition and fees as are paid by credit students. Credit or audit status must be indicated at the time of registration. Admission requirements are the same for auditors as for credit students. An AU (audit) cannot be changed to a letter grade. Auditing a class does not relieve the student of the responsibility for meeting the standards which the instructor has established for the course.

Continuing Education Unit Many noncredit activities are designated as Continuing Education Unit (CEU) programs. One CEU is defined as 10 contact hours of participation in an organized educational experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction.

The university registrar permanently records successful participation in programs that have been authorized to award CEUs. A certificate is given at the conclusion of the class and that information can be obtained from the Registrar's home page at www.virginia.edu/registrar/gradereport.html.

Grades Undergraduate courses taken through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies follow the grading system listed in the University Regulations chapter of this Record.

Credit/No Credit Students enrolled in graduate degree programs should consult with the dean of their school before selecting the credit/no credit (CR/NC) grading option since restrictions may apply.

Students enrolled in courses for professional development may select the CR/NC option. Courses taken with this grading option may not be transferred into a degree program. The use of CR/NC in certificate programs is governed by the academic policies of the individual program.

Grade Changes No grade for a course may be changed after it has been submitted to the university registrar without the approval of the dean of the school offering the course. That dean is authorized to change a grade submitted to the university registrar when the course instructor certifies in writing that, because of an error in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade had been previously submitted.

Incompletes Circumstances beyond a student's control sometimes arise that necessitate requesting an IN (incomplete) from the instructor. IN indicates that the grade for the course is being withheld until the student completes all course requirements. The student must initiate the request for an IN. Before the IN is granted, the course instructor must approve the request. The student must complete and submit all course work to the instructor by the end of the semester following the term in which the IN was received, at which time the instructor replaces the IN with a grade. An incomplete that is not removed by the conclusion of the next semester will be converted to a grade of F (failure). Only course instructors may remove incompletes. Students with an incomplete pending are not awarded a degree or certificate. Non-degree seeking students who receive an IN (incomplete) or an F (failure) in any course cannot enroll in another course unless the Dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies grants special permission. The Community Scholar Program policy regarding course incompletes will differ according to which school or college offers the course. These policies are outlined in the Community Scholar Handbook or available online at www.uvacommunityscholar.info. University students registering through the Community Scholar Program must comply with their school's policy regarding incompletes.

No Grade On occasion, an instructor awards an NG (no grade) to a student at the conclusion of a course. Unless the student eliminates the conditions that resulted in the NG by the conclusion of the next consecutive semester, it is automatically converted to a grade of F (failure). No student with an NG pending is eligible to receive a degree or certificate.

Honor System The Honor System is one of the University’s oldest and most venerated traditions. Based on the fundamental assumption that anyone who enrolls at the University subscribes to a code of ethics forbidding lying, cheating, and stealing, the Honor System allows students the kind of personal freedom possible only in an environment where respect and trust are assumed. For nearly 160 years, students have administered this system at the University.

Although the Honor System applies to students enrolled off- Grounds, in courses and programs through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, as it does to students on-Grounds, some procedures for administration of the system to continuing and professional studies students differ from those governing on-Grounds full time students. Off-Grounds students may consult with the School of Continuing and Professional Studies regional center in their area for a copy of the Honor Committee bylaws.

Repeated Courses Students may repeat courses for credit only after receiving the permission of their dean’s office. The grade initially earned in the course appears on the official academic record and counts in the calculation of the grade point average. Regulations applying to repeated courses may vary by school and are detailed in each school’s chapter of this Record.

Suspended Students Individuals who have been suspended from the University of Virginia or from any other college or university are not eligible to enroll through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies as long as the suspension remains in force.

Teacher Relicensure Teachers and school administrators who wish to take courses or professional development offerings for relicensure may register without submitting academic transcripts. Individuals seeking relicensure are responsible for determining the acceptability of such courses or professional development programs by consulting with their school/division superintendent or the Virginia Department of Education.

Transcripts The university registrar records the credit for University courses taught at the School of Continuing and Professional Studies centers. Students who have taken at least one class since 1985, may obtain a on-line transcript from the Registrar's Office at https://transcripts.itc.virginia.edu/transcripts/jsp/welcome.jsp.

Transfer of Credit Students wishing to transfer credit from the School of Continuing and Professional Studies to another educational institution should consult that institution as to the acceptability of the courses and their credit prior to registering with the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

Students interested in transferring courses into an SCPS credit certificate program are generally allowed to transfer a maximum of six credits. The School grants transfer credit based on (1) an analysis of the content, level, and comparability of the courses taken, (2) the applicability of the courses to the student's intended major and degree program, (3) the quality of the student's performance in the courses, and (4) the accreditation of the institution at which the work was complete. Course work must not be older than eight years and the student must have earned at least a "C" in the course. Transfer credit determinations are made by the Academic Program Director. Courses for which transfer credit has been awarded will not appear on the student's transcript until the completion of the certificate program. No transfer credit is allowed in the certificates of Technology Leadership, Information Technology, and E-Commerce.


Undergraduate Record Home  |  School of Continuing and Professional Studies