University of Virginia

Graduate Record 1996-1997

University Regulations

Students at the University of Virginia are subject to the University's academic, financial, and non-academic rules and regulations. In addition, students are subject to the academic policies of the school in which they are enrolled. The information contained herein and any other information conveyed to students is subject to change at any time by the authorities responsible for making these rules and regulations.

The University reserves the right to suspend, enforce the withdrawal of, or expel a student whose academic standing is in its judgment unsatisfactory or who violates the University's Standards of Conduct. In addition, the University will automatically enforce the dismissal of a student certified by the Honor Committee to be guilty of a breach of the honor system.

Please Note: The University Regulations are to be observed in their entirety. The subdivisions below are provided for ease of reference only.

Academic Regulations

Academic Grievance Procedure

Students who have a grievance relating to a faculty member, department chair, or dean are invited to discuss their academic grievance in the following manner:

  1. Concerns related to a faculty member that cannot be resolved between the two parties should be discussed with the department chair on a person-to-person basis;
  2. Should the concern be related to the department chair (in schools with departments) the grievance would be filed with the dean of the school;
  3. Should the concern be related to the dean of the school, the grievance would be filed with the vice president and provost;
  4. Should the level of concern relate to the vice president and provost, appropriate documentation should be presented in writing to the President of the University.

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

It is the responsibility of the individual to bring to the University's attention the need for academic accommodation due to a qualifying disability. Requests for reasonable variation in degree requirements to accommodate a student's disability should be submitted in writing at the earliest possible time to the student's dean who reviews all requests for such variation. If the student's disability precludes attainment of licensure or certification in the desired degree program, that information will be so noted in replying to the request.

Requests should be supported by appropriate documentation of the relevant disability filed with the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center. Personnel at the Center are available to counsel students in preparing their requests for academic accommodations and to help them get other necessary support services. Deaf and hearing impaired students may dial 243-5189 to receive telecommunications accessibility.

Students who have disabilities that may interfere with their performance in a course or require special and reasonable accommodation in the conduct of the course are encouraged to inform the instructor of that fact at the beginning of the course. Any questions concerning the propriety of particular accommodations should be referred to the student's dean's office and/or the Assistant Director of the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center(804) 243-5180 or (804) 243-5189.

Attendance in Classes

Faculty members have the right to establish attendance requirements in each of their courses. Course requirements such as examinations, oral presentations, laboratory experiments, participation in discussion, or the like are in no sense waived because of absence from class. Instructors may establish penalties when excessive absences would seriously hinder achievement in any course.

Auditing Courses

Students may audit courses with the permission of the instructor. Courses taken on an audit basis have the symbol AU (audit) recorded in the grade column of the academic record. No credits or grade points are earned in audited courses. Because credits are not earned in audited courses, these courses are not included in the courses required to complete a degree. Instructors have the option of determining whether students may or may not take their courses on an audit basis. Students may request to audit a class only in the weeks prior to the Drop date (six weeks).

Changes in Class Schedules (Add/Drops/Withdrawals)

Changes in students' class schedules can be made after registration by adding or dropping courses. Students should contact their dean's office for specific information on deadlines for adding and dropping courses, since these dates vary among the schools.

After the deadline for dropping courses has passed, the symbol W (withdrew), WP (withdrew passing), or WF (withdrew failing) will be assigned by the instructor of the course depending on the policies of the school in which the student is enrolled. The W, WP, or WF will appear on the official academic record.

Cross-listed Courses

With appropriate approval, a course may be cross-listed under more than one mnemonic or level, but only one section may be taken for degree credit. If one of the cross-listed sections is level 500 or higher, that section is normally reserved for graduate students.


Students who have completed all degree requirements in their major and in their school are granted a degree by the University of Virginia. Students who graduate in May can receive their diplomas at the commencement exercises held on the Lawn or they may pay a fee to have the diploma mailed to them. Students who graduate in August or December may either pick up their diploma in the University Registrar's office or pay a fee to have the diploma mailed to them.

Persons receiving diplomas must be registered at the University during the semester in which they receive the degree. Those not carrying any courses must register as non-residents and pay the non-resident fee in order to graduate from the University.

Students who lose their diplomas may have them replaced upon payment of $10 plus a mailing fee. The University reserves the right to withhold the diplomas of financially delinquent students.

Division of Continuing Education Courses

With the approval of a student's school of enrollment, a course taken through the Division of Continuing Education can be counted towards degree requirements and (for undergraduates) included in the computation of a grade point average. Approval is required in advance; otherwise, Continuing Education courses do not apply towards a degree.

Final Examinations

Final examinations are given in courses during a designated period of time at the end of each semester except in the School of Law and the Graduate School of Business Administration. Students in the Darden School and the Law School should consult their dean's office for the schedule for final examinations. Final examinations in courses may be given only at the time listed in the Course Offering Directory issued each semester by the Office of the Registrar. Faculty members are not authorized to change the announced times of their examinations. Such changes may be authorized only by the faculty member's dean's office, and then only for compelling reasons.

Students are not permitted to take a final examination before the regularly scheduled examination. When genuinely serious conditions exist, students, with the consent of the course instructor, may be allowed to postpone a final examination until after the regular examination period. When the instructor concurs, a student must submit a request on a form provided in the student's dean's office. Students will then take the examination at the instructor's convenience, usually no later than March 15 for a course taken in the fall semester and no later than October 15 for a course taken during the spring semester.

Unexcused absence from a final examination results in an automatic grade of F in the final examination. An instructor may also give a student a grade of F in a course irrespective of other previously graded work if a final examination is missed without prior permission.

Grading System

Records of academic achievement for graduate students are maintained by the University in terms of credits and grades.

Credit   The unit of credit at the University is the semester hour. Each semester hour represents one class period of a minimum of 50 minutes per week for each week in the semester. Lecture-recitation courses require a minimum of one 50-minute class period each week in the semester for every one hour of credit earned. Laboratories and field work require a minimum of two 50-minute class periods (or the equivalent amount of time) for each week in the semester for every one hour of credit earned.

Grades  Each school determines its own grading system. Students will be graded according to the grading system of the school in which they are registered, not according to the grading system of the school through which the course is taught. (Additional regulations apply to courses taught on a credit/no credit and a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis. See section on credit/no credit and satisfactory/unsatisfactory grades.)

Grades used by each of the schools are listed below:

Graduate Arts and Sciences   A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F. Lowest grade accepted for degree credit: B-.

Graduate Architecture   A, A-, B+, B, B-, C, F. Lowest passing grade: B-. Studio grading: Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.

Graduate Education  A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F. Lowest passing grade for degree credit: B-.

Graduate Engineering  A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F. Lowest passing grade: C.

Graduate Business Administration  A, B+, B, B-, C, F. Lowest passing grade: C.

Graduate Nursing  A, A-, B+, B, B-, C, F. Lowest passing grade: B-.

Law and Graduate Law   A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D, F. Lowest passing grade: D.

Incompletes  The symbol IN  (Incomplete) is used when additional course work is required or examinations need to be taken in order to fulfill the requirements of the course. Some schools have time limits for the removal of incompletes. Students should consult with their dean's office concerning the length of time an incomplete may remain on their records.

Grade Changes  No grade may be changed after it has been submitted to the University Registrar without the approval of the dean. The dean is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to the University Registrar except when an instructor certifies that, because of an error in calculation or in transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades  In some courses, only the grades of S  (satisfactory) and U  (unsatisfactory) are used to evaluate students' performance. Students do not have the option of receiving a regular A-F  grade in a course which is being graded on an S/U  basis.

Credit/No-Credit Grades  Students have the option of receiving the grades CR  (credit) or NC  (no credit) in place of the regular grades A through F.  The option is taken at the time the students register for the course. Instructors have the right to refuse to permit students to take courses on a CR/NC  basis. In these cases, students may either change back to the regular grading option or they may drop the courses entirely.

The CR/NC option is not permitted in Graduate Business Administration, Graduate Education, and Graduate Nursing. The Graduate School of Architecture allows students to take undergraduate courses on a CR/NC basis; however, those credits may not be offered toward the graduate degree. Students in other graduate programs should check with their dean's offices before selecting the CR/NC option since additional restrictions may apply to the use of the option.

Symbols   Additional designations are used on a student's transcript to reflect a student's status in a particular course. These symbols are as follows:

W (withdrawal)
WP(withdrew passing)
WF (withdrew failing)
AU (audit)
IV (invalid grade)
NG (no grade)
NR (non-resident)
YR (year long course)


The University conducts a graduation ceremony each May to recognize and honor those students who have completed all degree requirements during the previous academic year. Students who graduate at the end of a summer or fall semester are invited to attend the ceremony following their graduation. Summer and fall graduates are not permitted to participate in a ceremony conducted prior to the actual awarding of the degree.

Honorary Degrees

The University of Virginia does not award honorary degrees. In conjunction with the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, the University presents the Thomas Jefferson Medal in Architecture and the Thomas Jefferson Award in Law each spring. The awards, recognizing excellence in two fields of interest to Jefferson, constitute the University's highest recognition of scholars outside the University.

Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals

Voluntary Leaves of Absence  Students who wish to take a voluntary leave of absence for a semester or year must apply for such leave at their dean's office. Students on leave must apply for readmission to their school at least 60 days prior to the registration dates for the semester during which they intend to register.

Educational Leaves of Absence  Students who wish to take a leave of absence to pursue educational interests elsewhere (e.g., study abroad or study at another educational institution) must apply for a leave of absence at their dean's office. While on such an approved leave, students must register at the University of Virginia as a non-resident and pay a non-resident fee. Students registered for an approved leave do not have to apply for readmission to the University although they must notify their dean's office when they intend to return.

Exclusion From Courses  A student who is making no real progress in a course or whose behavior is detracting from the course may be excluded from the course by the Dean with a grade of WF or F.

Enforced Withdrawal  Students may be forced to withdraw from the University for habitual delinquency in class, habitual idleness, or any other fault which prevents the student from fulfilling the purpose implied by registration at the University. Students who are forced to withdraw during a given term will have the notation Enforced Withdrawal (date) entered on their permanent academic record following the semester in which the action occurred. Grades of W (withdrawal) will be entered for each of the courses in which the students were registered. Students who have been forced to withdraw must apply for readmission to their dean's office in the same manner as a suspended student.

Medical Withdrawal  Students who withdraw for reasons of health must obtain permission from the Department of Student Health. Grades of "W" (withdrawal) will be entered for each of the courses in which the students were registered. Subsequent medical clearance from the Department of Student Health is required for readmission.

Voluntary Withdrawal  Students may withdraw from the University before the conclusion of a semester under the following conditions:

  1. Students under the age of 18 must give notice to their parents or legal guardians of their intention to withdraw. Evidence of such notice must be provided at the time of the withdrawal.
  2. Applications for withdrawal must be made in writing to the students' academic dean's office and must be approved by the dean.
  3. Failure to comply with the above regulations will subject a student to suspension from the University by the vice president for student affairs. Any student who withdraws without having obtained permission is recorded as having been suspended.
  4. Students who withdraw from the University voluntarily will have the notation Withdrew (date) recorded on their permanent academic record.

Non-Resident Status

The non-resident status is reserved for students who are not taking any courses or research but who need to be enrolled at the University for certain administrative reasons, including finishing incompletes, awaiting graduation, or while simultaneously enrolled through the Division of Continuing Education. This status is for students who are not in residence in one of the degree-granting schools of the University, and bears no relation to the student's in-or out-of-state tuition status. Non-resident students are considered to be enrolled less than half-time, and receive no student I.D. card privileges.


Exceptions to academic regulations may be requested by petitioning the appropriate faculty committee in the student's school of enrollment. Petition forms and information concerning the proper procedures for requesting exceptions to academic regulations may be requested in deans' offices.


Students who do not enroll at the University for a semester or more -- and who are not on educational leave of absence -- must be formally readmitted, regardless of whether they were on an approved leave of absence or not. In order to accomplish this readmission, they must be cleared by their academic dean, the department of student health, and the office of the dean of students. Application for readmission must be made to the academic dean's office of the student's school at least 60 days in advance of the next University registration period.


Students must complete final registration via the ISIS Telephone System in order to be considered duly enrolled students. Specific instructions are available each semester in the Course Offering Directory and on the World Wide Web ( The late registration period begins the day after the end of regular registration. Students who pre-enroll in courses but who do not complete the registration process will lose their places in these courses on the Friday immediately following final registration. The final deadline for registration is seven weeks after the first day of classes. Students who have not completed registration by this date will not be allowed to register for the semester, receive credit for the semester, or receive a degree during the semester. No student will be permitted to register after this time except in cases where the delay in registration was a result of University actions. Inability to pay tuition and fees by the deadlines imposed by the University bursar does not constitute an acceptable reason for registering late.

A late registration fee of $25 is charged to students who register after regular registration through the end of the 10th class meeting day of the semester. After the 10th class meeting day, a $50 late registration fee is charged.

Payment of tuition and fees is considered to be part of the registration process. Failure to pay tuition and fees by the dates established by the University Bursar will result in suspension from the University. See the section of this catalog on tuition and fees. Any student who registers assumes thereby an obligation to pay for that semester's tuition and fees.

All suspensions-financial, disciplinary, or academic-must be cleared before a student is permitted to register at the University. Students who are terminated for non-academic reasons during the semester and who seek reinstatement in the same semester are readmitted and reregistered by the Registrar in coordination with the student's dean's office. The student is required to present the termination clearance form approved by the termination authority to the Registrar prior to the tenth class day before the last day of scheduled classes. Students are not allowed to be readmitted or re-registered after this deadline and are not allowed to receive credit for that semester or to receive a degree in that semester.

Students who fail to register are not considered to be students at the University and are not certified as being enrolled at the University for any purpose. Students who register must enroll in at least the minimum of credits required by the pertinent school or have the registration cancelled.

Repeated Courses

Courses may be repeated for credit only with the permission of students' dean's offices. The original course continues to appear on the official academic record and count in the calculation of the grade point average. Regulations which apply to repeated courses may be found in the specific regulations for each school.

Student Status

Students must have completed the registration process at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters and be current in all financial obligations to the University in order to be considered enrolled at the University. Satisfaction of one of the following criteria confers full-time or part-time status on a graduate student during a given semester for the purpose of enrollment certification and deferments of student loans. Separate criteria may apply for tuition, fees, and financial aid.

Full-Time Students  Registration for nine or more credits in a semester constitutes full-time status for the purpose of loan deferments and enrollment certification.

Part-Time Students  Any student carrying fewer than nine credits is considered to be enrolled part-time. For the purpose of loan deferments, students carrying six to eight credits are considered half-time and students carrying five or fewer credits are considered less than half-time.

Part-Time Student, Division of Continuing Education  Under certain conditions, students may enroll in regular daytime classes through the Division of Continuing Education as a Citizen Scholar.  Application for this status should be made through the office of Charlottesville Regional Programs. Students are generally limited to two courses up to 8 credits per semester. Apply to the Coordinator, Citizen Scholar Program, Office of Charlottesville Regional Programs, Box 3697, 104 Midmont Lane, Charlottesville, VA 22903, or call (804) 982-5313.


Transcripts of courses taken, grades given, and degrees received at the University of Virginia are maintained in the office of the University Registrar in accordance with the policies of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. Current students may view their records in their dean's office or in the registrar's office upon proof of identification. Copies of transcripts may be obtained by the student from the registrar's office by making a written request authorizing the release of the transcript. There is a $3 fee charged for copies of transcripts. The University of Virginia reserves the right to withhold copies of transcripts of students who have unfulfilled financial obligations with the University.

Access to student records is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Any student attempting to gain access to or gain possession of another student's record will be subject to disciplinary proceedings and suspension from the University.