University Housing

| Accommodations for Single Students| Student Family Housing Accommodations|
| Residential College System| Foreign Language Houses | Privately-Owned Accommodations|
| Housing Regulations|

The housing of students has been a prime consideration of the University since its founding. The University has two main goals in providing students with housing accommodations on the Grounds. The first is to furnish students with a variety of housing arrangements at reasonable cost. The second is to provide an environment in which each student may achieve the maximum realization of his or her potential--intellectually, socially, and physically. It is expected that attributes such as self-discipline, concern for the rights of others, mental and social maturity, and respect for public and private property will be fostered in group residence situations.

As a part of the University's orientation and advisory system, all students entering any of the undergraduate schools directly from secondary school are required to live in one of the residence houses during their first year. After the first year in residence a student who wishes to live in University housing must enter the priority selection process. Upperclass housing is available in residence halls and apartments and these spaces are awarded through the lottery. On-Grounds housing is readily available.

Room Reservations   After the entering undergraduate student has been admitted to the University and has returned the housing application to the Accommodations Office, space will be reserved.

The application serves as the student's housing agreement with the University. The student will be notified of the room assignment before the beginning of the session.

Room rent is charged by the semester and is due and payable on or before the day of registration. All rental charges are subject to change.

All correspondence regarding University-owned accommodations for single students should be addressed to Accommodations, Page House, Station 1, Charlottesville, VA 22904; Telephone: (804) 924-6873; Fax: (804) 924-3758.

Accommodations for Single Students

McCormick Road Houses   Each of the ten residence houses on McCormick Road provides accommodations for approximately 140 first-year students in double rooms and has its own lounge and recreation rooms. Resident staff live in each of the houses. A mailroom, snack bar, laundry, and outdoor recreation facilities are nearby. Each room is wired for voice, data, and cable television.

Alderman Road Houses   Each of the twelve residence houses on Alderman and Observatory Roads accommodates approximately 120 first-year students in twelve suites; each suite consisting of a central lounge, a bath, and five double rooms. A mailroom, dining hall, snack bar, and recreation facilities are nearby. Each student bedroom is wired for voice, data, and cable television.

Dillard and Gooch Houses (Stadium Road)   The nine structures comprising this complex house approximately 650 undergraduate and graduate residents in suite arrangements. Student bedrooms are almost exclusively single rooms. Each suite consists of a central living room, microfridge, shared bath area and, in most cases, six single bedrooms. A laundromat and postal box room, and two large lounges with kitchens are provided in the complex. Each bedroom is wired for voice, data, and cable television.

Lambeth Field Apartments   Located north of Central Grounds, these contain 102 two-bedroom apartments and 72 three-bedroom apartments. Each two-bedroom apartment accommodates four students, double occupancy in each bedroom. Each three-bedroom apartment accommodates six students, double occupancy in each bedroom. Each apartment is furnished. A convenience store is operated by the University within the apartment complex. A laundry room is also available.

Copeley III & IV   Located on the North Grounds, these contain 24 two-bedroom apartments. Each apartment accommodates four students, double occupancy in each bedroom. Each apartment is furnished with a sofa and chairs, dining table and chairs, refrigerator and stove, single beds, wardrobes (each with a built-in chest), desks and chairs. A laundry room is also available.

The Lawn   Rooms on East and West Lawn are part of the original Jeffersonian academical village. Undergraduate degree applicants in their final year are eligible to apply for these accommodations. A student selection committee determines who will live on the Lawn based on the students' scholastic and extracurricular standing. All rooms are single. Each student bedroom is wired for voice, data and cable television.

Mary Munford and Roberta Gwathmey Houses   These residence houses contain 81 double rooms and 58 single rooms. These two facilities house upperclass undergraduates and some first-year students. There are kitchens and lounges on each floor in these houses. Laundry facilities are located in each building. A computer room is located in Mary Munford. Each student bedroom is wired for voice, data and cable television.

Hoxton (Mozaic House) and Lewis Houses (Sprigg Lane)   Located adjacent to Mary Munford and Roberta Gwathmey houses, this facility accommodates 100 students in a variety of settings. Suites, double rooms, and single rooms are available. Lounge facilities, kitchenettes, laundry room, and postal boxes are provided. Hoxton/Lewis residents have access to the computer room at Mary Munford. Each student bedroom is wired for voice, data and cable television.

583 Brandon Avenue Apartment Complex   This consists of 39 furnished two-bedroom apartments and 24 furnished three-bedroom apartments. Each two-bedroom apartment accommodates four students and each three-bedroom apartment accommodates six students to provide space for a total of 300 students.

Hench, Younger, and Mitchell Houses (Faulkner)   This complex houses approximately 200 students. The majority of accommodations are four person furnished apartments, comprised of: living room, kitchen, four single bedrooms (one large and three regular), and bath area. Each student bedroom is wired for voice, data and cable television.

Family Housing Accommodations

University Gardens   University Gardens is an eight-building apartment complex north of Central Grounds on Emmet Street (U.S. Route 29). This complex contains 41 one-bedroom apartments and 28 two-bedroom apartments. Furnished and unfurnished apartments are available.

Copeley Hill Apartments   These accommodations of masonry construction, located northwest of the Central Grounds, consist of 112 one-bedroom apartments, 112 two-bedroom apartments, and 30 three-bedroom apartments. Furnished and unfurnished apartments are available.

The Family Housing Association   The Association is governed by a council elected by residents from the various neighborhoods of the Family Housing communities. The FHA coordinates programmatic functions for the residents, mediates concerns between tenants and serves as residents' liaison with the Housing Division and other agencies.

Requests for information regarding student family housing should be addressed to Family Housing, Page House, Station 1, Charlottesville, VA 22904; Telephone: (804) 924-7030. Fax: (804) 924-3758.

Residential College System

Brown College at Monroe Hill and Hereford College (formerly Monroe Hill and New College)   This area contains houses comprised of air-conditioned suites occupied by two suites who share bath areas with members of the adjoining suite. There are 288 spaces assigned in 144 suites. Hereford College residential spaces are a combination of single and double air-conditioned rooms with central bath on each floor. Two lounges are located on each floor (one equipped with a kitchenette).

There is a separate application process to live and participate in the residential college program. The application period typically begins late fall term for participation that would occur the following academic year. For more details, contact Accommodations, Page House, Station 1, Charlottesville VA 22904; Telephone (804) 924-6873; Fax: (804) 924-3758.

Foreign Language Houses

The language houses at the University are designed to provide an opportunity for intensive language learning and cultural experience for students who live there. Students are required to speak the foreign language (i.e., French, German, Spanish, or Russian) at all times in the common areas; at least one native speaking graduate student typically lives in the house. Students must have at least an intermediate knowledge of the language to qualify for admission to the houses (but not necessarily language majors).

Slavic (Russian)   Located at 102 Cresap Road, the Russian House is home to nine students and a faculty advisor in four double rooms and one single room.

La Maison Francaise   Located at 1404 Jefferson Park Avenue. Some 31 undergraduate students live together with two graduate students (one visiting from France) in either triple, double, or single room accommodations. Common areas include a dining room, a parlor, a library, and a seminar room.

Max Kade German House   Located at 581 Brandon Avenue, the German House typically houses 11 undergraduate students and one house manager in double and single rooms. Common areas include a living room, dining room and community kitchen.

Casa Hispanica   Located at 1408 Jefferson Park Avenue, the Spanish House accommodates up to 24 students in 8 single and 8 double rooms, including a fully accessible (ADA compliant room) on the ground floor. Common areas include a kitchen, a dining room, a living room, and two sitting areas.

Application and assignment to the language houses are coordinated through departmental contacts at the French Department (924-7158), German Department (924-3530), Slavic Department (924-3548), and Spanish Department (924-7159). For additional information, contact Accommodations (804) 924-6873; Fax: (804) 924-3758.

Privately-Owned Accommodations

In the past, the Housing Division maintained an off-Grounds Housing Office; however, this is no longer the case. Students wishing to obtain housing off-Grounds should consult the local apartment locator services for information on available accommodations in the area.

Housing Regulations

All students entering any of the undergraduate schools directly from secondary school are required to live in one of the residence houses during their first two regular semesters at the University. The Associate Director of the Housing Division, upon request may authorize exceptions to this residence requirement in cases of those students who will live at home with their families. Married or single parent students who will establish their homes at the University should also request exemption.

Upperclass and graduate students may live in University accommodations on the Grounds, in fraternity houses, or in privately-owned accommodations.

All rooms in University facilities are rented subject to the University Housing Terms and Conditions of Occupancy. This includes billing students for facilities damage. When specific responsibility for damage cannot be determined, all costs will be divided equally among the residents of that unit.

Proposed rental charges for University housing for the 1996-97 session are listed below. All rental charges are subject to Board of Visitor approval.

Rental Rates

Nine Month Session
Single Students
Per Occupant
McCormick Road Houses
Single Room
Double Room
Small Double Room
Alderman Road/Observatory Hill Houses
Suites Only
The Lawn
Regular Single Room
Small Single Room
Small Single Room (no fireplace)
Mary Munford & Roberta Gwathmey
Single Room
Double Room
Stadium Road Houses
Single Room
Double Room
Faulkner Apartment Complex
Single Room
Large Single Room
Double Room
Sprigg Lane Houses
Single Room
Single Room (Private Bath)
Double Room
583 Brandon Avenue
Lambeth Field
Copeley III, IV $2,126
Brown College at Monroe Hill (Residential College)
Double Room
Hereford College
Single Room
Double Room
La Maison Francaise (French House)
Single Room
Double Room
Triple Room
Max Kade (German House)
Single Room
Casa Hispanica (Spanish House)
Single Room
Double Room
Slavic (Russian) House
Single Room
Double Room
Monthly Rent: Family Apartments
(Including Utilities)
University Gardens
Copeley Hill

Dining Services and Facilities

|Meal Program Options| |First-Year and Upper Class Meal Plans| |Additional Upper Class Meal Plans| |Residential Colleges| |Language Houses| |Plus Dollars| |Meal Plan Changes| |Additional Dining Information| |Cavalier Advantage Program|

Dining Services provides students numerous opportunities for meals and snacks from dining rooms, food courts, snack bars, convenience stores, and carts around Grounds. The dining rooms serve three meals on weekdays and brunch and dinner on weekends, while the a la carte locations are open from early morning until late at night to offer a wide variety of dining options.

Please note that the following descriptions of the meal programs do not include all relevant terms and conditions of the contract. Please refer to the Dining Services Brochure and the Reservation Agreement Card for complete details regarding meal programs, as well as nutrition counseling, non-meat menus, Meals to Go, and other options. Dining Services facilities are accessible to students with disabilities.

Meal Program Options

Believing that a well-balanced diet is essential for good health, the University requires that all first-year undergraduate students participate in either the Unlimited or the Plus 15 meal program during the first semester. Second semester first-year students may also participate in the Plus 10 plan.

The Unlimited Plan provides complete access to the Dining Rooms for meals or snacks during regular hours of operation. There are no limits to the number of meals that may be eaten during the day or week. This program permits the student to fit his or her meals into the most demanding schedule.

The Plus 15 and Plus 10 meal programs allow the student any 10 or 15 of the available meals during the week.

The Semester Programs, which are available to upperclass students, provide either 100, 80, or 50 meals per semester and are especially convenient for students who live off-Grounds or who eat some meals in their residence.

First-year and Upper Class Meal Plans

Meal PlanPlus $Guest MealsCost/Semester
Plus 15$1255/sem$1055
Plus 10$1505/sem$900

Note: The Plus 10 is available to first-year students during the second semester only.

Additional Upper Class Meal Plans

Meal PlanPlus $Guest MealsCost/Semester
Semester 100$150*$640
Semester 80$150*$550
Semester 50$150*$400

*Semester programs have unlimited Guest Meals.

Residential Colleges

Students enrolled in Hereford or Brown residential colleges must choose a residential meal program from the list that follows. These programs include banquets and special events which are part of the residential college experience. First-year students must select either the Unlimited or Plus 15 meal program.

Meal PlanPlus $Guest MealsCost/Semester
Plus 15$1255/sem$1110
Plus 10$1505/sem$955
Semester 100$150*$695
Semester 80$150*$605

*Semester programs have unlimited Guest Meals

Required Meals:

Brown College requires that all residents eat Sunday brunch and dinner, and dinners Monday through Thursday in the designated residential dining facility. Friday lunch may also be used as a Brown College residential meal at Newcomb Hall.

Hereford College requires that all residents eat at Runk Dining for Sunday brunch and dinner and two additional dinners between Monday and Thursday evening.

Language Houses

The French and Spanish Language Houses require that all residents participate in a Language House Meal Program. Students are required to eat dinner Monday through Thursday at their respective Language House.

Meal PlanPlus $Guest MealsCost/Semester
Plus 10$1505/sem$955
Semester 100$150*$695
Semester 80$150*$605

*Semester plans have unlimited Guest Meals.

Plus Dollars

Students enrolled in a University Meal program may increase the flexibility of their meal plan by purchasing additional Plus Dollars in increments of $50. All charges will be billed by the Bursar's Office, and funds are available at the time of sign-up. Plus Dollars may be used for food purchases only, and are available exclusively to students on a meal plan.

Meal Plan Changes

Meal programs are purchased for the academic year and are priced to take into consideration that some meals will be missed. For this reason, refunds will not be made for missed meals. Students may exercise a "Semester Option" by January 16, 1997, which permits a change or cancellation of the meal program for the second semester. Semester Options to cancel may not be exercised by Residential College students, first-year students, full GIA athletes.

Students may revise their meal plan choice twice during the year. All changes must be made by letter or by filling out an Intent to Change form at the Dining Services Administrative Office.

Changes for fall semester must be requested by September 4, 1996.

Spring change requests must be made by January 16, 1997. Spring semester changes are accepted between December 1, 1996 through the January 16 deadline. They are not reflected on the Bursar's bill until after final registration in January.

There is no fee for changing meal plans; however a $25 administrative fee is applied to all cancellations except for December graduation and Study Abroad students.

Meal plan contracts are annual contracts.

Additional Dining Information

The University student identification card is the student's entry into the dining rooms. It allows students to use the meals and Plus Dollars in their meal plans, and tells them the current balances. If the card is lost or stolen, the Registrar's Office must be notified immediately at 924-4508 to deactivate the card. A separate card is issued to Continuing Education students.

Information about Dining Services is mailed to students in early summer, after having received notification of admission to the University. If additional information is needed, please contact Dining Services, P.O. Box 9020, Charlottesville, VA 22906, Attn: Board Plan Coordinator; or call (804) 982-5124.

Cavalier Advantage Program

Cavalier Advantage is an account on your student ID card that is activated once funds have been deposited through the Business Operations Office or the four cash deposit machines located Grounds-wide.

Cavalier Advantage is accepted by all University dining locations, the Bookstore, the laundry, vending and copy machines, the Central Grounds parking garage, Student Health and Housing, the Bursar's Office, and more.

Call the Business Operations Office (804) 982-5735 for additional information.

Return to Undergraduate Record Table of Contents.