12: Division of Continuing Education

General Information | Off-Grounds Programs | Facilities | General Regulations
Tuition, Fees, and Refunds | Certification in Criminal Justice Education
Certificate Program in Human Resources Management | Certificate Program in Accounting
Certificate Program in Procurement and Contract Management
Certificate Program in Editing | Faculty

General Regulations

Admission   Application for admission to the courses and programs of the Division of Continuing Education should be made at the office of the Regional Center where the student plans to study, or at the Division's main offices in Zehmer Hall.

Registration   Registration should be completed prior to the first meeting of the class. This includes completing the registration/receipt form and biographical data form, and paying all tuition and fees. Registration is not complete and transcripts are withheld until all tuition and fees are paid. In special circumstances, and with permission of the center or office director, late registration may be allowed upon payment of a late registration fee.

The University of Virginia Division of Continuing Education reserves the right to modify, withdraw, or make substitutions for any of the courses announced, or to change instructors.

Grades   Undergraduate passing grades are A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-; a grade of F awards no credit. Certain courses may be taken on a CR/NC (credit/noncredit) basis; credits may be earned with a CR, but no grade points are awarded. The minimum grade accepted for degree purposes varies among the schools of the University of Virginia; specific information may be obtained from the Center or from the individual school at the University. Many Division programs require a grade of C or above for ongoing study and successful program completion.

In graduate degree programs, passing grades can range from A+ to D-; an F denotes failure. At the graduate level, each school determines its own grading system as outlined in Chapter 4 of this Graduate Record. In Architecture, the maximum passing grade for graduate degree credit is A, minimum is B-; in Education the maximum is A+, the minimum is B-; in Engineering the maximum is A+, the minimum is C; and in Nursing, the maximum is A, the minimum is B-. Certain seminar workshop and research courses may be graded on an S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) basis.

Other notations or nongrade symbols are used in reporting semester grades. IN (incomplete) indicates that the grade for the course is being withheld until all course requirements are complete.

NC (noncredit) indicates that a student receives no credit for a course where a student has elected the CR/NC (credit/no credit) grading option. Grade notations for noncredit courses are S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory). Students who audit courses receive the notation of AU (audit). The symbols WP (withdraw passing) and WF (withdraw failing) are used for students who have officially withdrawn prior to the conclusion of a course.

Grade Changes   Any grade or grade notation may be changed by the instructor after it has been submitted to the University Registrar. Instructors changing grades must do so in writing to the University Registrar.

Grade Reports   Grade reports for the Division of Continuing Education are sent to the home (permanent) address of the student by the University Registrar.

Grade Appeals   Students registering for courses through the Division of Continuing Education are afforded the same rights for resolving grievances as students registering on-grounds. Continuing Education students needing more information or assistance with a grievance should contact the director of the center or office through which course registration was obtained.

Incomplete or Failing Grades   A student who receives an incomplete (I) or a grade of failure (F) in any course offered by the Division of Continuing Education cannot enroll in another course unless permission is granted by the Dean of the Division of Continuing Education.

Satisfactory Academic Progress   Individuals enrolled in credit courses for professional development, licensure, or personal enrichment are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students who consistently fail to maintain a 2.00 grade point average may be denied the opportunity to enroll in additional courses through the Division of Continuing Education unless permission is granted by the appropriate program or center director. Students also should consult policies for specific certificate, licensure, and endorsement programs to determine academic standards and requirements.

Teacher Relicensure   Teachers and administrators who wish to take courses and/or professional development offerings for relicensure purposes may register without submitting transcripts. It is the responsibility of persons seeking relicensure to determine the acceptability of courses or professional development programs by consulting their school division superintendent or the Virginia Department of Education.

Suspended Students   Persons who have been suspended from the University of Virginia or any other college or university are ineligible for enrollment through the Division of Continuing Education as long as the suspension remains in force.

Application of Courses to Degree Programs   With the approval of a student's school of enrollment, a course taken through the Division of Continuing Education can be counted toward degree requirements. For undergraduates, these courses are included in the computation of a grade point average. Approval is required in advance; otherwise, the courses do not apply toward a degree.

Application to Other Educational Programs   Courses which carry a credit designation may be used by school divisions, businesses, industry, state agencies, the federal government, institutions of higher education, and others to measure currency in knowledge and skills required by various professions. Specific examples of its use are to establish levels of proficiency in business and industry, recertify teachers, or measure an individual's professional development for the determination of promotion and/or salary increase.

The Continuing Education Unit   Many noncredit activities are organized as Continuing Education Unit (CEU) programs. One CEU is defined as ten contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction. Successful participation in programs which have qualified for CEU award is permanently recorded by the University Registrar. An individual may request a copy of his or her record from the Office of the University Registrar, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 9009, Charlottesville, VA 22906-9009.

Transfer of Credit   Students seeking to transfer credit from the Division of Continuing Education to another educational institution should, prior to registering, consult that institution as to the acceptability of the courses and credit.

Auditors   Students who wish to enroll in credit courses without working for degree credit may do so, with permission of the center or office director, by registering as auditors and paying the same tuition and fees as credit students. Credit or audit status must be indicated at the time of registration. Admission requirements are the same for auditors as for credit students.

Transcripts   Credit for University of Virginia courses taught at the Division Centers is recorded by the Registrar of the University. Transcripts are $3 each, and are available from the Office of the University Registrar, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 9009, Charlottesville, VA 22906-9009.

Continue to: Tuition, Fees, and Refunds
Return to: Chapter 12 Index