General Information |
Programs and Degrees Offered |
Financial Assistance | Graduate Academic Regulations
Requirements for Specific Graduate Degrees | Departments and Programs | Faculty
State and Regional Scholarships and
Departmental Fellowships | Special Fellowships | Assistantships | Loans and Part-Time Employment
The Henry Coalter Cabell Fellowship was founded in 1903 upon the gift of Mrs. Kate Cabell Claiborne and Captain Henry Cabell, of Richmond, VA. Appointments are made upon the recommendation of the Chairman of the English Department.
The Majuel Ewing Fellowship recipients are chosen by the Graduate Committee of the Department of English.
The Henry Hoyns Fellowship was established in 1975 through a bequest in the name of Henry Hoyns. The first fellowships were awarded in 1977. The fellowships carry a stipend of $4,000 for the session and are awarded only to creative writers. Applications should be made to the Creative Writing Program in the Department of English by February 15 and should include manuscripts of the applicants' work in either poetry (20 pages), fiction (30-40 pages) or playwriting.
The Richard Carrington Phelan Memorial Fellowship was established in 1980 by a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Harry M. Phelan, Jr. and family in memory of their son, Carrington. The holder must be a first-year graduate student in the Department of English and preference is given to residents of Virginia who attended the University of Virginia as undergraduates. Appointment is made upon the recommendation of the Department of English.
The Robert D. Saltz Memorial Fellowship (with a stipend of $800-$1,000) was established in 1972 upon the gift of the Saltz family and donors' contributions to the Robert D. Saltz Memorial Fund. Appointment is made on the recommendation of the Department of English.
The James Southall Wilson Fellowship was established in 1954 in honor of Dr. James Southall Wilson, founding editor of the Virginia Quarterly Review, who prior to his retirement was Edgar Allan Poe Professor of English, Chairman of the Department of English, and Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Appointment is made by recommendation of the Chair of the Department of English.
The William Wiley Morton Fellowship was established by Mrs. Nina Morton. Appointments are made upon recommendation of the Woodrow Wilson Department of Government and Foreign Affairs.
The Woodrow Wilson Foreign Affairs Fellowship was established in the 1960's and first awarded in 1982. Appointments are made upon recommendation of the Chairman of the Woodrow Wilson Department of Government and Foreign Affairs.
The William Cabell Rives Fellowship was founded in 1905 upon the gift of Dr. William Cabell Rives, of Washington, D.C., in honor of his grandfather, William Cabell Rives, the distinguished statesman. The holder must be a graduate student and must devote a portion of his or her time to work connected with the Department of History. Appointments are made upon the recommendation of the Department of History.
The Leland B. and Virginia C. Snoddy Fellowship was founded in 1964 by a bequest from Virginia Croft Snoddy. Appointment is made on the recommendation of the Department of Physics to a graduate student specializing in research in physics.
The ARCS Fellowship was established in 1984 as an annual gift from the Washington, D.C., chapter of the Achievement Awards for College Scientists Foundation. This fellowship has a stipend of $12,000 with the recipient chosen from enrolled students nominated by the science departments.
Continue to: Special Fellowships
Return to: Chapter 5 Index