8: Curry School of Graduate Education

General Information | Categories of Graduate Degree Status and Program/Degree Requirements
Program Descriptions | Course Descriptions | Faculty

Degree Programs | Areas of Graduate Study | Facilities and Services | Physical Education Facilities
Communication Disorders Facilities | Student Organizations
Academic Honors, Scholarships, and Honor Societies | General Academic Requirements
Other Requirements | Special Tuition and Fee Information | Summer Session

Other Requirements

Change of Program Area   Students are admitted into a specific program area in the Curry School of Education. To change a program area or registration status, students must be in satisfactory standing in their present program area and be approved for admission to the new program area. Change of status forms to initiate this process are available in the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs of the Curry School.

Matriculation   A student who is offered admission must accept that offer (in writing) and take at least one course at the University within one year of the matriculation date stated on their application or the school will assume that he or she will not be attending the University. After one year, application materials will be destroyed, requiring a completely new application for readmission. Readmission is not automatic in such instances and will depend upon a full review of the student's record.

Faculty Advisor   After being admitted, each student is assigned a Curry School faculty advisor. The faculty advisor must be contacted before the first semester of matriculation to plan the degree program. All courses taken for degree credit must be appropriate to the student's degree program and must be with the consent of the advisor. It is the student's responsibility to determine the specific requirements prescribed by the department and program area.

Transfer of Credit   Students may, with the approval of the dean and the department offering the program, transfer some graduate credit earned at other accredited institutions. All graduate credit offered as transfer credit must be applicable to the degree program the student is pursuing. Specific limitations and policies governing transfer credit applicable toward degrees are listed in the section on degree requirements. Undergraduate courses or courses previously applied toward an undergraduate degree are not transferable for credit to graduate programs.

Through the University's Division of Continuing Education, the Curry School of Education offers, in a number of established centers throughout the state, courses which may be taken for graduate degree credit. In addition, upon request, the Curry School will organize for local systems field courses in which teachers may earn non-degree credit.

Enrollment Requirements   Although it is not necessary to be enrolled continuously from the time of acceptance as a graduate student until completion of the degree, a student must apply for readmission to the School of Education if he or she allows 12 consecutive months to elapse without being enrolled in at least one course for credit toward a degree program. Readmission is not automatic in such instances and will depend on a full review of the student's past record and departmental resources. Students who are readmitted are subject to the current requirements.

Ph.D. students must be continually enrolled in each academic semester. Students who fail to do so must re-apply.

All students, resident or non-resident, must be officially registered during the semester in which a degree may be conferred and at any time in which University resources are used (e.g., examinations, committee meetings, faculty conferences).

Registration   Registration and advising days are announced in the calendar in this Record and the Course Offering Directory. All registration materials are obtained by students in Professional Development, M.Ed., M.T., Ed.S., Ed.D., or Ph.D. programs from the Curry School of Education, 104 Ruffner Hall. Students must consult with their advisors prior to registration. Registration has two components, both of which must be completed. Enrollment in the University is completed at University Hall. Special tuition fee students (see section) may enroll at the Office of Admissions of the Curry School on the first day of class. Enrollment in classes is completed by using the ISIS telephone system.

Course Load   Full-time students normally take 12 graduate credits during each regular semester. A student may vary this amount with the approval of his or her advisor, and must petition for special permission to take 18 or more credits.

Students who are employed full-time may enroll for a maximum of three credits each semester. Permission to enroll in more than three credits must be secured from the advisor, department, and associate dean.

Drop and Add   After the final date for adding or dropping courses, any change in enrollment or request to change the grading system by which the student will be evaluated, can only be made with the approval of the instructor, advisor and the associate dean.

In general, it is not possible to drop a course after the specified date, but with the instructor's consent it may be possible to be assigned a grade of W, WP, or WF.

Grade Changes It is the responsibility of students to monitor the accuracy of their university transcripts. Such monitoring can be done through the Voice Response System. All corrections or inquiries must be completed within one calendar year of the course.

Incomplete Policy   An IN is recorded when reasons known to the professor are judged adequate to justify an extension of time to complete course requirements. An IN may not be used to allow a student to attempt to raise a grade at the end of the term. The timeline to complete an incomplete may be negotiated with an instructor, but may not extend beyond one year of the semester in which the course was originally taken. Students are expected to enter into a written contract with the instructor specifying the remaining requirements and agreed-upon timeline. It is the student's responsibility to file the incomplete agreement in the Curry Admissions Office. After one year, if the student has not met the terms of the incomplete agreement, the faculty member may submit a grade of F, U, WP, WF, or W; if no action is taken by the faculty member, the incomplete is changed to a W. Because the structure and content of a course is constantly changing, in order to change an incomplete grade which is older than three years to a regular course grade, the course instructor may require that the student take the course again.

Withdrawal From A Course   A student may withdraw from a course at any point prior to 5:00 p.m. on the last day of classes (in the term of enrollment) if permission has been secured from the student's advisor and instructor, and a petition has been filed and approved in the Office of the Dean. This action will result in the course remaining on the transcript and the instructor being asked to record a grade of W, WP or WF on the final grade sheet. A W may only be assigned if there is no basis on which to determine a WF or WP. None of these notations will affect the GPA, nor will the course count toward credits earned.

Grading   Grades are awarded only to those students who are registered for and complete a course for credit. The letter grade symbols used for grading graduate students in the Curry School of Education are: A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, W, WP, and WF. The lowest grade that can be applied toward a degree is B-.

Student work may be graded on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis in certain courses within the Curry School of Education. These courses or sections are approved for this grading system by the department offering the course and the Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs. The specific S/U graded courses and the maximum number of credits which may be completed under this system and applied toward graduate degree must be approved by the student's major program advisor and, if a doctoral student, by the doctoral committee.

A course may not be repeated on an S/U basis in order to change a grade in a course previously completed on a letter-grade basis. If this should happen, the original grade will stand, and the credits earned in the second taking of the course cannot be used for degree credit. The last day for changing to or from an S/U grade in a course is the last day for dropping a course.

Attendance   Students are expected to attend classes throughout the session, with the exception of University holidays, unless permission to be absent temporarily or to withdraw has been first granted by the student's advisor and the dean. Excuses for absence from class are arranged between the student and the instructor of the course in question. Routine excuses for illness are not furnished by the Department of Student Health either to the student or to the instructor. If final examinations are missed for medical reasons, the Department of Student Health notifies the dean. On request of the dean, the Department of Student Health will evaluate the effect of any illness upon a student's attendance and academic performance. Failure to attend classes or other prescribed activities in a course may result in enforced withdrawal from the course or other penalties as determined by the instructor.

Attendance Upon Examinations   Written examinations are an essential part of the work of most courses. A final examination or culminating experience is expected in all classes. The time period assigned for final examinations is considered part of the regular academic semester, and classes must meet during their scheduled examination period. Absence from examinations will not be excused except for sickness on the day of examination, attested by a physician's certificate, or for other causes which the instructor, advisor, and dean, by special action, may approve. An unexcused absence is counted as a failure and, at the discretion of the instructor, may result in failing the course.

Standards for Satisfactory Performance in Graduate Programs   A graduate student's performance is subject to periodic review by their advisor and major program area. Course work, clinical performance, and competence in general professional practice, as well as other professionally relevant qualities, are considered. The department may, upon recommendation of the student's major advisor or doctoral committee, require withdrawal from the program whenever the student's performance fails to reflect the potential for high-level professional contributions. Before any decision to require withdrawal is made final, a student must be given notice of inadequacies in their performance, advice as to appropriate remedial steps, and a reasonable opportunity to improve. On the other hand, receipt of one or more failing grades (C+ or below) in any semester or summer session may initiate a review by a student's major program area or department. Under such circumstances, the department may, upon recommendation of the student's major advisor or doctoral committee, require the student's immediate withdrawal from the program. (The same policy applies to Professional Development.)

Voluntary Withdrawal   A student may petition to withdraw from the University any time up to 5:00 p.m. on the last day of classes. An official application to withdraw must be obtained from the Office of Student Affairs, accompanied by a statement describing the reasons for withdrawal, and approved in writing by the associate dean. If the student withdraws for medical reasons, among the requirements for readmission is clearance from the University Health Service. A student under 18 years of age must have parental approval for such withdrawal. An exit interview must be held with the dean of students and all University identification cards submitted at that time. In addition, the student must clear any financial debts to the University before the withdrawal is final.

Readmission to the Curry School of Education is not automatic. After an absence of 12 months or longer, a former student must apply for readmission. To apply for readmission, the student must submit an application to the academic dean's office at least 60 days before the next University registration period. Failure to comply with these regulations will subject the student to suspension from the University by the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Enforced Withdrawal   A student may be required to withdraw from the University if the academic advisor, department, and the dean determine that the student is making unsatisfactory progress towards a degree. Such a determination must follow the policies established by the School and those set forth under University Regulations.

Application for Teacher Licensure and Endorsement   Students seeking initial teaching license in Virginia or who wish to add an endorsement to their Virginia license may receive procedural instructions and forms from the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs who serves as the Licensing Coordinator in the Office of Admissions, Room 104, Ruffner Hall. The Coordinator is also available to help students who wish to apply for out-of-state certification. Under the Interstate Certification Project, the state of Virginia has reciprocity with 28 other states, the District of Columbia, and the Panama Canal Zone.

In the Curry School of Education, degree requirements and license/endorsement requirements are distinct. While many programs of study can meet both degree and license/ endorsement requirements, and major portions of the two may be synonymous, a student may meet one set of requirements and not the other, i.e., receive a degree without qualifying for recommendation for license. Students should see their advisor or the Associate Dean for Licensure, 104 Ruffner Hall, for clarification of degree and license/endorsement requirements.

To be recommended for license/endorsement a student must satisfactorily complete all requirements of the appropriate Curry School of Education approved program, make appropriate application through the Office of Admissions, and for initial license submit PRAXIS scores (Common and Area Exams) to the State Department of Education.

Any student seeking initial license, including student teaching, must be in a regular master's degree program (see description of master's and M.T. programs).

Application and Registration for Degrees   Application for the degree must be submitted by the student in accordance with the calendar deadlines noted below. Forms can be obtained from the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs, and should be submitted to that office through the student's department.

Degree Applications   are due during the first week in October for January graduation, first week in February for May graduation, and second week in June for August graduation. The application specifies all courses offered in fulfillment of degree requirements and must be signed by the official advisor and departmental chair. In addition, students must provide an official transcript of all applicable course work from the University of Virginia or elsewhere.

Candidates who do not receive degrees in the session for which their applications have been approved must renew their applications at the beginning of the session in which candidacy for the degree is desired.

Non-resident degree applicants must be registered for the semester in which the degree is to be awarded. Registration for an evening or weekend course in residence meets this requirement, but registration through the Division of Continuing Education does not.

Degree candidates enrolled through the Division of Continuing Education, as well as those not enrolled at all, must complete registration for the degree and pay registration fees to the University of Virginia during the semester or summer session in which the degree will be conferred. A student who has been registered for the degree and then failed to meet the requirements for the degree must register and pay a fee for the preparation of a new diploma in the next term.

Continue to: Special Tuition and Fee Information
Return to: Chapter 8 Index