undergraduate record logo

Chapter 6: College of Arts and Sciences

General Information

The College of Arts and Sciences offers an education in the liberal arts leading to the degrees Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, and Bachelor of Science in Physics. The requirements for these degrees introduce students to a broad spectrum of knowledge and are intended to allow them to develop the skills and habits of learning, disciplined thinking, and articulate expression. Students are offered considerable latitude in, and responsibility for, shaping their own programs of study.

A degree program must be completed in four academic years and, under certain conditions, can be completed in three. The first two years are intended to be spent in developing the knowledge and skills associated with a broad range of basic academic disciplines, including natural science, history and social science, the humanities, foreign language, English composition, mathematics and fine arts. In the third and fourth years, students are expected to continue at a more advanced level in several of these fields and to concentrate in one of them (the major subject). Twelve or more transfer credits awarded in a single semester for work at another institution will constitute one of the eight semesters allotted for full-time registration in the College.

The minimum residence requirement for a degree is two academic years. The last year of candidacy must be spent in this University, and courses offered in the major for the degree must be completed in residence unless written exception is made by the dean of the College in consultation with the department or interdepartmental program concerned.

For graduation from the College the candidate must have satisfied the area requirements given below and a plan of major study. In addition, the candidate must have passed and offer for a degree a minimum of 120 credits of approved courses, of which at least 96 must be passed on a graded (A-B-C-D) basis. Among the 120 credits must be at least 102 College or College-equivalent credits. A candidate must have made a grade point average of at least 2.0 on all graded courses taken in the College or elsewhere in the University and offered for a degree. A student who has received a baccalaureate degree cannot submit any courses offered for that degree toward another degree in the University. Students are subject to the area requirements in effect during the academic year when they first enter the University. Students are subject to the requirements for the major in effect during the semester in which they declare the major.


The College of Arts and Sciences
Garrett Hall
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(804) 924-3351
Art and Sciences on-line site

1997-1998 College of Arts and Sciences Calendar

Fall Semester 1997
August 27-September 5Fall semester registration (via ISIS)
August 30-31Orientation for new students
September 1-3Advising
September 3Classes begin
September 17Last day to drop a course
September 19Last day to add a course; change to or from credit/no credit; elect AU (audit) option
October 11-14Reading holiday
October 29Last day to withdraw from a course
October 31Fall Convocation and Family Weekend
November 3-14Advising, selection of spring courses
November 26-November 30Thanksgiving recess
December 8Last day to request change in examination schedule
December 12Classes end
December 13-14Reading days
December 15-22Course examinations
Spring Semester 1998
January 7-16Spring semester registration (via ISIS)
January 12Deadline for completing authorized incompletes from fall semester
January 14Classes begin
January 28Last day to drop a course
January 30Last day to add a course; change to or from credit/no credit; elect AU (audit) option
March 7-15Spring recess
March 11Last day to withdraw from a course
March 30 - April 10Advising, selection of fall courses
April 24Last day to request change in examination schedule
April 28Classes end
April 29 - April 30Reading days
May 1-8Course examinations
May 17Final exercises
June 5Deadline for completing authorized incompletes from spring semester

Students' Records

Compliance with College Regulations  Students are held responsible for selecting their courses in accordance with the course restrictions and policies printed here, in the College of Arts and Sciences Student Handbook, and in advising material distributed by departments. Only after the approval of the dean's office has been obtained in the form of a petition should a student enroll in a course which does not comply with the College's regulations.

Requests for Exceptions to the Rules and Appeals   Students who believe there is a valid reason for asking for an exception to any of the rules may file a petition to the Dean of the College. In most cases the recommendation of a course instructor or advisor is required on the petition before it is filed. An unfavorable response from the dean may be appealed to the Committee on Faculty Rules. The College has established procedures to deal with requests for exceptions to rules in cases involving psychological issues. College students should contact the dean's office for information about such procedures.

Accuracy of Students' Records   Students are responsible for verifying the accuracy of their academic records by the drop deadline and each time thereafter that they make a change in their schedule. Students who fail to do so are subject to various penalities as determined by the dean. Changes to the transcript are permitted only during the current and immediately following semester. Transcripts may be requested, upon payment of a nominal fee, from the Office of the Registrar in Carruthers Hall. PACE reports are mailed once a semester by the Registrar, and grade reports are mailed to students at the end of each semester. Errors must be reported to the dean's office within the stated deadlines. After one semester has lapsed the student's record is considered permanent.

Academic Information

The new curriculum applies to all incoming first-year students who registered for the fall of 1994 or subsequent semesters. The new curriculum requirements apply to all students who entered the College in the fall of 1996 and thereafter. The Dean of the College determines the year level of all new transfer students and informs them before matriculation.

Intra-University Transfers  -- Students who register as first years in any School of the University in the fall 1994 semester or thereafter are subject to the new curriculum in the event they transfer into the College.

Lists of courses meeting the second writing requirement, historical studies and non-Western studies requirements are available in Garrett Hall, the annually revised College of Arts and Sciences Student Handbook, and other advising information distributed by the College of Arts and Sciences.

Following matriculation all area requirements must be completed at the University of Virginia. AP credits from secondary school and transfer credits before enrollment for the first time may count as area requirements. Test scores cited in this section are the ones from the SAT II Subject Tests re-centered in April, 1995.

Awards and Honors

Dean's List   Full-time students who demonstrate academic excellence while taking a minimum of 12 credits of graded course work are eligible for the dean's list at the end of each semester. Courses taken on a CR/NC basis may not be counted toward the 12-credit minimum. A current minimum grade point average of 3.4 is necessary to be eligible for the dean's list. Any student receiving an F, NC, or NG during the semester is not eligible to be on the dean's list.

Intermediate Honors   Students who enter the University directly from high school or preparatory school and who, after four regular semesters have completed 59 credits of course work and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.4, are awarded a Certificate of Intermediate Honors. The notation "intermediate honors" is also placed on each student's official academic record. In the College, no more than twelve of the 59 required credits may be earned on a CR/NC basis. Further, students need to have remained in good standing. Advanced Placement, Summer Session, and transfer credits do not count toward the required credits.

Theses and Commencement Honors   Degrees with distinction, high distinction, and highest distinction are awarded by the Committee on Special Programs to students who have a grade point average of 3.4 or higher and have been recommended by the departments or interdepartmental programs in which they have completed a Distinguished Majors Program or the equivalent. Distinguished majors programs require that students submit a written thesis. All degree programs in the College of Arts and Sciences offer a distinguished majors program except Astronomy, Cognitive Sciences, Drama, and Medieval Studies. In departments offering thesis courses, non-DMP students may have an opportunity to write a thesis; contact the specific departments for more information. The committee also awards distinction, but not high or highest distinction, to students who have not enrolled in (or who have discontinued) a DMP but who complete their degree with a grade point average of at least 3.6.

Phi Beta Kappa   To be eligible for election to Phi Beta Kappa, students must have done distinguished work in advanced courses in several Arts and Sciences departments. While no set grade point average is established for election, successful nominees have usually earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.7, taken upper-level work in several departments in the College, and carried a course load greater than 12 credits in each semester.

Simultaneous Counting of Courses and Cross-listed Courses

One course (including cross-listed courses such as AAS 101 and HIAF 203) may simultaneously meet no more than two area requirements; it may also satisfy the second writing requirement. Courses taken to fulfill the second writing requirement and the area requirements, with the exception of foreign language courses through the 202 level, may be counted toward a first or second major or toward a minor.

Competency Requirements

Composition  -- 3 credits, or exemption
ENWR 101  is required during the first year unless exempted; this course is graded A, B, C, or NC (no credit). A grade of NC indicates that the course must be repeated until a passing grade is achieved. Students may be exempted upon recommendation or a score of at least 720 on the SAT II Writing Test.

Second Writing Requirement  -- typically a 3-credit course. Students must complete in any Department in the College an additional course whose written work meets the criteria for this requirement. The course may carry one or more credits. There are no exceptions to the second writing requirement. Courses elected under this heading may also be counted toward completion of other segments of the area requirements, as well as toward a major or minor. A course offered for the second writing requirement must carry a grade of C- or better and must be taken in the College. The second writing requirement must be completed by the end of the sixth semester, with the necessary form filed by the same deadline in the Office of the Dean.

Foreign Language  -- 0-14 credits, (through the 202 level; 201 for B.S. in Chemistry) or exemption, depending on previous work. Place in a language sequence is by SAT II Subject Test score and departmental recommendation. Students are exempt who scored 660 or above on an SAT II Subject Test in French; scored 650 or above on an SAT II Subject Test in German, Italian, Latin, or Spanish; scored 640 or above on an SAT II Subject Test in Chinese or Japanese; scored 560 or above on an SAT II Subject Test in Hebrew. Students are obliged to follow the Department's recommendations in the completion of the foreign language requirement. Once placement occurs, the foreign language requirement is fulfilled by the completion of each course in sequence (no skipping). Credit for introductory language courses is disallowed if it duplicates foreign language credits offered for admission to the College.

Area Requirements

Natural Science and Mathematics  -- 12 credits
A student must pass twelve hours of natural science and/or mathematics courses (exception MATH 100 and MATH 103) from at least two departments. Students are strongly encouraged to include courses in mathematics, the physical sciences, and the biological sciences. These courses may be chosen from the departments of Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics. Courses taken for this requirement may count also toward one other area requirement.

Social Sciences  -- 6 credits
A student must pass a minimum of two courses (three or more credits each) from the departments of Anthropology, Economics, Government and Foreign Affairs (except GFPT), Psychology, and Sociology, or from the programs in Afro-American and African Studies (AAS), Linguistics (200-level or above), and Women's Studies (WMST). Some foreign language courses taught under ANTH do not fulfill this requirement, nor do literature courses under AAS. Courses taken for this requirement may count also toward one other area requirement.

Humanities  -- 6 credits
A student must pass a minimum of one course (three or more credits each) from two of the following three groups of departments and programs:

Literature  -- Classics, Comparative Literature, English (except ENWR 100 and 101), and foreign literature (Asian and Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures, French, German, Slavic Languages and Literatures, and Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese courses in translation and all courses above the 202 level).

Fine Arts  -- Art (and Art History), Drama, Music, and Architectural History courses AR H 100, AR H 101, AR H102, AR H 150, and AR H 203.

Moral, Philosophical, and Religious Perspectives  -- GFPT, Philosophy, and Religious Studies. Courses taken for this requirement may count also toward one other area requirement.

Historical Studies  -- 3 credits
A student must pass a minimum of one course (of at least three credits) from the Department of History or a course from another department that is substantially historical, as recognized by the faculty. Courses taken for this requirement may count also toward one other area requirement.

Non-Western Perspectives
A student must pass a minimum of one course (of at least three credits), from any department, among those recognized by the faculty as dealing substantively with a culture other than the Western cultural heritage, including minority sub-cultures in the West. Courses taken for this requirement may count also toward one other area requirement.

Note:   Liberal Arts Seminars (LASE), University Seminars (USEM 170, 171), and other courses numbered 170 and 171 may not be counted toward the area requirements. Seminars numbered 170 and 171 may be counted as electives. No course counted toward these degree requirements may be taken under the Credit/No Credit option.

Major Subject

Students must enroll in a major program offered by one of the departments or interdepartmental programs no later than four semesters before graduation and must present to the Dean of the College, as part of a plan of study, a program requiring no fewer than 18 nor more than 30 credits in the major subject, approved by an official advisor. The major program may require up to 12 credits in related courses.

Students may major in two subjects, in which case the application for a degree must be approved by both departments or interdepartmental programs. Students who double major must submit at least 18 credits in each major that are not duplicated in the other major. There is no triple major.

The credit/no credit option may not be elected for the courses offered in the major program. Beyond the courses required for the major, however, a student may register for other courses in their major field on a credit/no credit basis.

Courses taken during a student's first and second years may count toward the major program with the permission of the department or interdepartmental program concerned. Courses applied toward the major may not be transferred from another institution to the University except with special permission of the Department. Courses (other than foreign language through 202) may count simultaneously toward fulfillment of a second major. Students beyond the second year must remain in good standing as a major or have their enrollment in the College cancelled.

The following major programs are offered:

Afro-American and African Studies
American Studies
Art History
Art Studio
Asian Studies
Chemistry, B.A. or B.S.
Cognitive Science
Comparative Literature
Environmental Sciences
Foreign Affairs
Interdisciplinary Major
Latin American Studies
Medieval Studies
Middle Eastern Studies
Political and Social Thought
Religious Studies
Russian Studies
Slavic Languages and Literatures
Women's Studies
Interdepartmental Programs   A number of degree programs are administered by committees rather than by departments. These include Afro-American and African Studies, American Studies, Comparative Literature, Russian Studies, all the Area Studies Programs -- Asian Studies, Latin-American Studies and Middle East Studies; and all the organized Interdisciplinary Studies Programs -- Archaeology, Cognitive Science, the Echols Scholars Program, Linguistics, Medieval Studies, Political and Social Thought, and Women's Studies.

Interdisciplinary Major   A student desiring to concentrate in an area for which there is no departmental or interdepartmental major program may apply to the Chair for acceptance in the Interdisciplinary Major Program. Such a plan of study must include at least 30 credits of courses, in addition to a 6-credit thesis, and be approved by three faculty sponsors, who will serve as the student's major committee. Details are available in Garrett Hall.

Distinguished Major   Students who show exceptional promise in their major field of study may be eligible for admission to the Distinguished Majors Program within their department. The Distinguished Major consists of at least twelve credits of advanced work and a thesis, special project, experiment, or exhibit based on at least six credits of supervised research, advanced laboratory work, or advanced study, as determined by the department. Successful completion of the program with a University cumulative grade point average of at least 3.40 will qualify a student for graduation with Distinction, High Distinction, or Highest Distinction.

Teacher Education   Students in the College may also apply to the five-year Education Program sponsored jointly with the Curry School of Education, which leads to the simultaneous receipt of both a B.A. degree from the College and a Master's in Teaching degree from the School of Education. Students will also be certified to teach on the elementary or secondary levels. Students wishing to pursue careers as teachers will major in an academic discipline in the College and simultaneously begin professional courses leading to teacher certification.

Students may select a major in any area of the College and combine it with a teaching specialization in one of the following areas:

Students wishing to pursue programs leading to teacher certification should contact the Office of Admissions in the Curry School of Education, 104 Ruffner Hall, (924-0740). Additional information is also listed in this Record under the Curry School of Education. Students in the B.A./M.T. program are responsible for confirming each semester their compliance with both College and Education School certification requirements. In particular, students in the B.A./M.T. program must carefully plan their courses from the start so as to earn no fewer than 102 College or College-equivalent credits.

Minor Subject

Students may choose, in addition to a major, a minor concentration in a second subject. Not all departments and interdepartmental programs offer a minor.

Students intending to minor must complete the appropriate forms in the department no later than the ADD period of their next to last semester in the College, normally the seventh semester. A minor consists of no fewer than 15 or more than 24 credits of graded work in a program or studies approved by the sponsoring department. Students may not declare two minors, but they may declare two majors and a minor. As with the major, courses taken credit/no credit may not be included in the minor program. Echols scholars declaring "no major" may not declare a minor. Courses used to meet area requirements in the College and the second writing requirement may simultaneously be offered in fulfillment of a minor, except that foreign language courses through level 202 may not be included as part of a minor.

The School of Architecture offers a minor in Architecture, Architectural History and a minor in City Planning and Preservation which are open to students in the College. The courses required for these two minors are exempt from the limitations on electives stated in the paragraph below only if requirements for the minor are completed. Requirements for these minors are described in Chapter 7: School of Architecture.

The School of Engineering offers a minor in Computer Science for College students consisting of 18 credits, including CS 101, CS 201, CS 202, CS 216, CS 308, and CS 340. Additional details are available at the Department of Computer Science on-line site.


The remaining courses needed to make up the 120 credits required for the degree may be elected from courses offered in the College for which a student is eligible. A degree program may also include up to 18 credits of professional courses offered in other schools of the University. It is desirable to reserve such courses for the last two years. Liberal arts courses offered in such subjects as computer science or architectural history in the Schools of Engineering and Applied Science and Architecture do not count as professional courses, although courses offered by the departments of Air, Military, and Naval Science do, and only 12 credits from these departments may be included in the 120 credits offered for a degree. Up to eight credits of music performance courses may count toward the B.A. degree, but they may not count toward the Humanities area requirement. Up to two credits of Personal Skills (PLSK) courses may count toward the B.A. degree. PLSK credits count as credits taken outside of the College. Students who complete approved minor programs outside the College may, once they have completed the program, count these credits as inside the College. For approval by the Committee on Special Programs, such minors must have a primarily liberal arts focus and be consistent with the academic objectives and standards of the College. They are supervised by committees that combine members from the College and the other schools involved. At present, the following minor programs are approved: the minor in planning (School of Architecture) and the minor in architectural history (School of Architecture).

Bachelor of Science

The requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and the Bachelor of Science in Physics are included under those departments in the listing of courses.

Bachelor of Arts with Honors

The purpose of the baccalaureate degree with honors is to enable students of special ability and interest to pursue in their third and fourth years a course of independent study under the guidance of a department faculty and the supervision of the Committee on Special Programs. Honors students devote their time primarily to their chosen subjects for two years, during which they read independently in that field and participate in tutorials and seminars conducted by their departmental tutors. Honors programs vary slightly from department to department, but candidates in all departments are evaluated finally by visiting examiners from other colleges and universities. Depending on this evaluation, they may receive degrees with "honors," "high honors," or "highest honors" as the only grades for two years of work. It is also possible to be recommended for no degree or for an ordinary Bachelor of Arts degree. The most visible honors programs are those offered by the Department of Government and Foreign Affairs and the Department of Philosophy. Other departments which have accepted candidates for this degree are Anthropology, Music, and Psychology. Further information may be obtained from those departments and from the chairman of the Committee on Special Programs.

Intra University Courses

For students offering the minimum 120 credits for the B.A. or B.S., at least 102 must be College (or College-equivalent) courses, thus no more than 18 credits from other Schools of the University may apply. By faculty approval, these courses are considered College-equivalent and may be applied to the area requirement in Humanities/Fine Arts: AR H 100; AR H 101; AR H 102; AR H 150; and AR H 203.

These courses may not count as area requirements, but are considered to be College-equivalent: ARCH 101; ARCH 102; ARCH 232; AR H courses (other than those noted above); COMM 320; CS courses; EDLF 545; EDLF 546; EDLF 564; EDHS 450; ENGR 207; L AR 312; L AR 313; MS 201; TCC 300; TCC 310; and PLAN courses under 500, only if the Minor in Planning is completed.

Students in the Special Education part of the B.A./M.T. program are permitted to count these additional six credits of Education School courses as College-equivalent: EDIS 302 (or EDIS 500) and one of EDIS 510; EDIS 511; EDIS 512; or EDIS 515.

These courses are considered non-College, counting among the 18 credits that may apply to the B.A. or B.S.: EDHS (other than 450 noted above and 341, 344, 350, and 351; see below); Physical Education (PHYE and EDHS 341, 344, 350, and 351, two credits maximum); LASE; USEM; PLSK (2 credits maximum); and ROTC (12 credits maximum).

Courses Taken at Other Institutions

Students who wish to take academic courses at another institution after matriculation at the University must have the prior written permission of the dean and the undergraduate advisor or chair of the department which offers corresponding work at the University. Permission is not granted unless students have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (2.5 for courses taken abroad). After matriculation at the University, students may not fulfill College area requirements with transfer coursework, the only exception being a foreign language course taught in the target country. Prior departmental approval in the form of a petition to the dean's office is required.

Subject to the above, work completed elsewhere with a grade of "C" or better is transferred in credits only. The courses thus completed reduce the number of credits and grade points that must be earned at the University for a degree. For example, students earning 10 credits at another institution are required to earn only 110 credits at the University (instead of 120) and 220 grade points. Please note that the credits transfer to the University, but the letter grades do not appear on the University's official records. Students will receive no more than the number of credits earned at the host institution.

Study Abroad

Students make application to study abroad in the International Studies Office in Minor Hall. For students who qualify, study abroad is permitted during the summer or for up to two semesters on accredited study abroad programs or at an accredited foreign university. Approval of the application prior to departure and a minimum grade point average of 2.5 after the student's most recent enrollment in Charlottesville are necessary to have credits transferred to the University of Virginia from a foreign institution or accredited study abroad program.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit taken before matriculation may be used for fulfilling area requirements, not for fulfilling major requirements. Students in the College must take the second writing requirement in the College and earn a grade of at least C-.

Transfer credit is allowed only for those courses in which a grade of C or better has been earned. In the College, courses in which a grade of CR is received must be certified to be the equivalent of a grade of C or higher to be accepted. Only credits are accepted in transfer. Grades do not transfer and do not effect the student's cumulative grade point average at the University of Virginia.

Transfer credit is evaluated only for the degree program to which students are admitted, and the amount of credit awarded is subject to change if students change degree programs. In the College, the amount of transfer credit awarded and the number of full-time semesters previously completed determines class standing. A maximum of sixty-six credits may be transferred to the University from a combination of testing programs and academic institutions

For more information, see the "Transfer Credit" section of the chapter entitled "University Regulations."

Academic Advising

Academic advising for College undergraduates is the responsibility of the Dean of the College, the assistant deans, and the faculty of the departments within the College. Detailed information about the academic policies and programs of the College is contained in the College of Arts and Sciences Student Handbook  (sent to students the summer before they enter) and the Transfer Student Handbook  (sent to all incoming transfer students). Students can also find ample information about a department's programs, courses, and policies on the departmental homepages: www.virginia.edu/~resadm/depts.html.

Each department and interdepartmental program has a faculty member who is charged with organizing undergraduate advising in its major. These are usually designated Directors of Undergraduate Studies or Undergraduate Chairs and are thoroughly informed about every course offered for undergraduates in that field. Mid-way through each semester, the departments and interdepartmental programs in the College issue a complete description of courses to be offered in the following semester. These are available separately in the departmental offices and as bound volumes in the dean's office and in Clemons Library.

In order to provide every entering student with individual academic counselling, the College has developed the Association System. The student body of the College is partitioned into ten "associations" representing first-year residences. Each association has an association dean, several faculty associates, and a graduate advisor who lives in the first-year dormitory. The faculty associates serve as academic advisors to first- and second-year students. The association dean and the graduate advisor assist in matching students with their faculty associates and have a general responsibility for the intellectual life of the Association.

These academic advisory services are coordinated with the residence-life system, in which selected upper-class students reside in the dormitory as resident assistants and help first-year students with their adjustment to the University. The graduate advisor and the association dean are the principal links between academic advising and the more general concerns of residence life.

Students pursuing Teacher Education and the combined programs with the Curry School of Education will have two advisors, one from their College major, and one from the parallel teacher education program in the Curry School. Though B.A. students are primarily responsible for the following rules and policies of the College, there are additional regulations regarding the teacher education program (similar to the rules for any major). Students should therefore consult both advisors before making any decisions regarding academic programs or course selections.

Pre-Law Advising   A Law School Advisory program is offered by the Office of Career Planning and Placement in Garrett Hall. Qualified students from the University of Virginia School of Law have been designated pre-law advisors. Available to all University students who are considering the study of law, their services are designed to provide first- and second-year students with sound advice on the admission practices and procedures of law schools throughout the country.

Pre-Medical Advising   While there is no prescribed pre-medical curriculum at the University of Virginia, students planning to apply to medical or dental school should bear in mind the following while planning their undergraduate programs.

  1. Virtually all medical schools require one-year courses with laboratory in chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, and physics. Some schools list requirements also in English and calculus.
  2. Prospective medical students should major in the subject that interests them most. It makes no difference to medical schools what the college major is. However, non-science majors should elect one or two advanced science courses during their third year, preferably biology or chemistry, and science majors should elect advanced courses in the humanities and social sciences, in order to demonstrate to admission committees the broad education in liberal arts that is essential to the practice of medicine.
An information meeting for entering pre-medical and pre-dental students is held each September during the orientation period. Assistant Dean Thomas L. Pearce is the advisor.

Foreign Study Advising   Both foreign languages and international studies are especially strong academic programs in the College. Many opportunities exist, some of them unique to this University, for studying abroad. About ten percent of the students graduating from the College offer some credit from study abroad toward their degrees. Plans for foreign study should be made well in advance, normally during the first semester of the second year. Students contemplating foreign study should consult an advisor in the Office of International Studies in Minor Hall. A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5, after the student's most recent enrollment in Charlottesville, is required to receive credits from studying abroad.


The grade of IN becomes an F ten days after the end of the examination period unless a form requesting an extension of time has been signed by the course instructor and approved by the association dean. An approved grade of IN does not convert to F until four weeks after the end of the examination period. The faculty has adopted a policy that students, unless authorized by the dean's office, must complete all course work before taking the final examination. Instructors are not authorized to extend the time for completion of course work without the dean's approval. Forms for securing extensions are available in Garrett Hall.

Credit/No Credit Grades

Students have the option of receiving the grades CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of the regular grades A through F for a given course. This option is taken at the time the students register for the course. Instructors have the right to refuse to permit students to take courses on a CR/NC basis. If this occurs, students may either change back to the regular grading option or they may drop the courses entirely. Courses taken for CR/NC may not be used for any major or basic area requirements.

No more than two courses may be taken on a CR/NC basis in any semester or in Summer Session exclusive of physical education courses. A maximum of 24 credits of CR/NC courses may be used toward a degree. Second-year transfer students are permitted to submit up to 18 credits of CR/NC work toward a degree; for third-year transfer students, a maximum 12 credits of CR/NC work are allowed. Courses in interdisciplinary programs cannot be taken on a CR/NC basis. Students may not use a CR/NC course to repeat a course in which a grade has already been given. If this should occur, the credits in the CR/NC course would not count toward graduation. The deadline for selecting the CR/NC option is the same as the add deadline, and requests for exceptions to the deadline are seldom granted.

Final Examinations

Final examinations are given in courses during a designated period of time at the end of each semester. Final examinations in courses may be given only at the times listed in the Course Offering Directory issued each semester by the Office of the University Registrar. Faculty members are not authorized to change the announced times of their examinations. Such changes may be authorized only by a faculty member's dean's office, and then only for compelling reasons. All students must have the opportunity to take the examination at the time announced in the Course Offering Directory. Further, the association deans authorize requests to reschedule a final examination to avoid congestion according to the rules of the College up to one week prior to the first day of the examination period.

Students are not permitted to take a final examination before the regularly scheduled examination. When genuinely serious conditions exist, students, with the consent of the course instructor, may be allowed to postpone a final examination until after the regular examination period. When the instructor concurs, a student must submit a postponement request on a form provided by the dean's office of the school in which the student is registered. Students will then take the examination at the instructor's convenience, usually within four weeks of the last day of the examination period.

Unexcused absence from a final examination results in an automatic grade of F in the course.

Grade Changes

No grade may be changed after it has been submitted the the university registrar without the approval of the dean. The dean is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to the university registrar except when an instructor certifies that, because of errors in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted.

The College limits the time in which a grade change is approved to the following semester.

Absence Regulations

Regular attendance in classes is a vital part of the educational process. At the University of Virginia each student is expected to accept the responsibility of attending classes regularly and promptly. Instructors are encouraged to state their policy on attendance to their classes; they may refer to the dean any student whose attendance record they consider unsatisfactory.

The Dean of the College has assured the faculty that he or she will follow their request to confer with students who are absent from classes too often and, when necessary, impose academic discipline upon these students, either when recommended by instructors or deemed necessary by his or her office. Absences traditionally excused are those that occur because of hospitalization, serious illness, death in a student's family, important religious holidays, or authorized University activities (field trips, University-sponsored athletic events, or the like). The instructor is not obligated to allow students to make up missed work; it is the instructor's decision, not the dean's, whether students can be allowed such a privilege. Neither the department of Student Health nor the dean's office issues excuses for class absence or for missed quizzes. Only when students are unable to contact instructors themselves (e.g., debilitating illness, leaving town suddenly for family emergencies, protracted absences) do the association deans send notification to instructors; otherwise it is the student's responsibility to consult directly with the instructor regarding absence from class. Excuses for absences from final examinations must come only from the dean's office.


The College of Arts and Sciences provides appropriate accommodation and modification of degree requirements for students with learning disabilities established prior to matriculation upon presentation of diagnostic data comparable to those supplied by the University's Learning Needs and Evaluation Center.

The Echols Scholars

About 170-200 unusually accomplished students are invited to join the Echols Scholars Program at the time of their admission into the University. The program combines a stimulating residential environment for first-year students with special academic advising. Echols scholars are exempt from the foreign language, second writing, and area requirements. First-year Echols scholars and all Echols scholars who maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average have priority registration for courses and the option of declaring an Echols major. Jon Mikalson is director of the Echols Scholars Program, and Lynn Davis is the academic dean.

Repeated Courses

Two essentially different courses offered under the same course number may both be counted for degree credit upon the written recommendation of the director of undergraduate studies in the department concerned. Two essentially identical courses, whether under the same course number or not, may not both be counted for degree credit. If a course is passed and repeated, only the first grade received will enter in the computation of grade point average, and count toward the 120 credits required for graduation, although the repeated course and grade will appear on the student's transcript. If a course is failed and then repeated, both courses and grades appear on the transcript and are computed in the grade point average.

Transfer Credit   If a course taken elsewhere and transferred to the University is repeated and passed at the University, only the credits awarded for the transferred course count toward the 120 credits required for graduation. The course repeated at the University does appear on the student's transcript, but the grade earned does not enter into computation of the grade point average, nor do the credits earned count toward the 120 required for graduation.

AP Credit   If a course for which AP credits have been awarded is repeated at the University, the AP credits are disallowed. The repeated course is posted, with its credits counting toward graduation and its grades included in the computation of the grade point average.

Changes in Schedule

Changes in students' class schedules are made via the ISIS telephone system. In the College, if admission to a course requires the instructor's permission, a Course Action Form signed by the instructor must be submitted to the department offering the course. Students taking the course are responsible for ensuring that this form has been properly completed and submitted. Students may add and drop courses through the deadlines stated in the Course Offering Directory.

Discontinuing a Course   Students who decide to discontinue a course in which they have enrolled must call ISIS to drop the course within the published deadlines. Students who fail to revise their list of current courses by calling ISIS within the well publicized deadlines become subject, after one written notice, to penalities determined by the dean.

With the instructor's permission, students in the College may withdraw from a course with a grade of W for a period of eight weeks from the semester's (not the course's) first day of instruction. After this cutoff, students must either complete the course or, with the instructor's endorsement, submit a request for an incomplete to the dean's office. Students who discontinue a course at any point without complying with the proper procedure receive a failing grade.

For year-long College courses, the deadlines to add and drop are those from the first semester, and the withdrawal deadline is that of the second semester.

Degree Applications

To receive a degree students must comply with the well publicized procedures administered by the College Registrar, whose office is in Garrett Hall 102.

In general the deadlines for graduation in May fall in November. For graduation in August the deadlines are in April, and for graduation in January the deadlines are in September. Students who miss a deadline may apply for the subsequent graduation and must register for the semester in which it occurs.

Graduate Opportunities and Fellowships

Information about Rhodes and Marshall Scholarships, Mellon Fellowships, and a variety of other valuable post-graduate opportunities may be obtained from Assistant Dean William Wilson, Garrett Hall. Each department also keeps announcements of more specialized graduate opportunities. These should be investigated early in the student's fourth year, at the latest.

Independent Study

Students who wish to do independent study but not under the auspices of a specific department may enroll in Independent Study (INST) 393, 394. Permission to do independent study must be granted in advance by the Assistant Dean for Special Scholars after he or she receives a written proposal endorsed by a faculty member who has agreed to direct the project.

Special Students

Written requests for admission as a special student should be addressed to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Garrett Hall, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22903, and should be submitted by August 1 for admission for the fall semester. New special students are not accepted for the spring semester.

Admission as a special student does not imply or guarantee admission to a degree program in an undergraduate or graduate school of the University. Admission to undergraduate schools may be offered only by the Dean of Undergraduate Admission. Admission to graduate programs may be made only by Deans of Graduate Admission of each of the individual graduate schools. (special students in the Division of Continuing Education refer to Chapter 12.)

Division of Continuing Education

College students may take up to two courses each semester in the Division of Continuing Education. Credit-bearing laboratories or discussions are not counted as separate courses. A total of 16 credits may be applied toward the B.A. from the College. Students who enroll in coursework at a Continuing Education regional center other than Charlottesville must submit to the college registrar (Garrett Hall 102) a transfer of credit form to ensure that their grade points and credits are accurate.

Course Load

Special permission is required to register for fewer than 12 credits or more than 19 credits each semester. Any student who completes fewer than 12 credits receives an academic warning (see below).

Academic Standing

Good Standing   (For students entering in Fall l985 and thereafter. Students who entered before Fall 1985 should consult the dean's office for information concerning good standing.) Students are considered to be in good standing at the end of a semester if, in that semester, they have completed at least 12 credits of course work with at least a 1.80 semester average and have no more than one grade below C-. In order to enroll in a fifth semester, students are required to have passed at least 54 credits; and at least 84 credits to enroll in a seventh semester. Students who fall behind in the number of credits required will be obliged to make up their work in the summer session. To remain in good standing by the end of the fourth semester, students must be in a major or have received permission from the dean's office to defer the declaration for one semester.

Academic Warning   Students who fail to remain in good standing are placed on academic warning. The notations "less than 1.8 GPA," "low grades below C-," and "reduced courseload" are placed on the students' permanent academic records following the term in which they were placed on warning. Students on warning are expected to meet with their association dean no later than the ADD period of the ensuing semester. They are strongly urged to devote more time to their academic work and are referred to academic support service. Students on academic warning who withdraw or take a leave of absence are eligible to return upon application, but do so on academic warning and are subject to suspension if they do not attain good standing.

Suspension  Students will be subject to suspension after two consecutive semesters on Warning. Students who fail to earn at least nine grade points in a semester are also subject to suspension. One full fall term and one full spring term must elapse before they may return to the College. Applications for readmission will be considered upon the presentation of evidence that the difficulties which led to suspension in the first place have been overcome (see below).

Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals

Voluntary Leaves of Absence   Students who wish to take a voluntary leave of absence for a semester or year must apply for such leave at the dean's office. Students on leave from the College must apply for readmission at least 30 days prior to final registration for the semester in which they intend to enroll. Students on an approved leave of absence have the notation "on academic leave" entered on their permanent academic record following the semester during which they last registered at the University.

Voluntary Withdrawal   Students may withdraw from the University before the conclusion of a semester if they meet the conditions stated in the chapter entitled "University Regulations."

Students in the College of Arts and Sciences who withdraw within 10 class days immediately preceding the final examination period, except for providential reasons, are not permitted to re-enter the College for the succeeding semester.

For information about educational leaves of absence, enforced withdrawal, and medical withdrawal, please see the chapter entitled "University Regulations."


Students who do not enroll at the University for a semester or more and who are not on an educational leave of absence, must be formally readmitted, regardless of whether or not they were on an approved leave of absence. In order to accomplish this readmission, they must be cleared by their academic dean, the Department of Student Health, and the Office of the Dean of Students. Application for readmission must be made to the dean's office 30 days in advance of the next University registration period.

Readmission application forms are available in Garrett Hall. For students in the College, the completed application must include a statement which (1) addresses their readiness to return to full-time study, in light of any serious difficulties during their most recent enrollment. (e.g. financial hardship, medical, personal), and (2) outlines over the remaining semesters the courses needed to fulfill their degree requirements.

Appeals from Students in the College

Adds, Drops, and Course Enrollment Deadlines   Students appealing penalties attached to missed deadlines must see their association deans. Further appeals go to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Garrett Hall 203.

Grading and Classroom Issues   Students who desire to appeal a grade attempt first to resolve the issue with the instructor of the course. Absent a satisfactory outcome, the student consults with the faculty co-ordinator of the course, if appropriate, the Director of Undergraduate Studies and then the Chair of the Department. After this path has proven unsuccessful in the resolution of the matter, the student writes to the Associate Dean of the College for Academic Programs (Garrett Hall 203). The final level of appeal is to the Dean of the College.

College Policies and Rules   Students whose petitions for relief from College rules have been denied by the association deans may appeal to the Committee on Faculty Rules (c/o Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Garrett Hall 203). The committee consists of faculty members who are not association deans. If the negative decision is upheld by the Committee on Faculty Rules, the student's route of appeal is to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs (Stephen Plog, Garrett Hall 203). The final level of appeal is to the Dean of the College. The Associate Dean for Academic Programs, who is in the line of appeals, does not vote in the periodic meetings held by the association deans to address the academic standing of students in the College.