4: University Regulations

Academic Regulations | Non-Academic Regulations | The Honor System
Department of Parking and Transportation Services | Department of Student Health

Academic Grievance Procedure | Accommodations for Students with Disabilities | Attendance in Classes
Auditing Courses | Changes in Class Schedules | Continuing Education Courses
Cross-listed Courses | Diplomas | Final Examinations | Grading System | Graduation
Honorary Degrees | Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals | Non-Resident Status | Petitions
Posthumous Degrees | Readmission | Registration | Repeated Courses | Student Status | Transcripts

Grading System

Records of academic achievement for graduate students are maintained by the University in terms of credits and grades.

Credit   The unit of credit at the University is the semester hour. Each semester hour represents one class period of a minimum of 50 minutes per week for each week in the semester. Lecture-recitation courses require a minimum of one 50-minute class period each week in the semester for every one hour of credit earned. Laboratories and field work require a minimum of two 50-minute class periods (or the equivalent amount of time) for each week in the semester for every one hour of credit earned.

Grades   Each school determines its own grading system. Students will be graded according to the grading system of the school in which they are registered, not according to the grading system of the school through which the course is taught. (Additional regulations apply to courses taught on a credit/no credit and a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis. See the sections on credit/no credit and satisfactory/ unsatisfactory grades.)

The grading systems used by various schools are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Incompletes   The symbol IN (Incomplete) is used when additional course work is required or examinations need to be taken in order to fulfill the requirements of the course. Some schools have time limits for the removal of incompletes. Students should consult with their deanís office concerning the length of time an incomplete may remain on their records.

Grade Changes   No grade may be changed after it has been submitted to the university registrar without the approval of the dean. The dean is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to the university registrar except when an instructor certifies that, because of an error in calculation or in transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades   In some courses, only the grades of S (satisfactory) and U (unsatisfactory) are used to evaluate studentsí performance. Students do not have the option of receiving a regular A-F grade in a course which is being graded on an S/U basis.

Credit/No Credit Grades   Students have the option of receiving the grades CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of the regular grades A through F. The option is selected when the students register for courses. Instructors have the right to refuse to permit students to take courses on a CR/NC basis. If this occurs, students may either change back to the regular grading option or drop the courses entirely.

Regulations governing the CR/NC option may vary by school, and are detailed in subsequent chapters. Students should check with their deansí offices before selecting the CR/NC option, since additional restrictions may apply to the use of the option.

Symbols   Additional designations are used on a studentís transcript to reflect a studentís status in a particular course. These symbols are as follows: W (withdrawal); WP (withdrew passing); WF (withdrew failing); WD (administrative withdrawal); AU (audit); IN (incomplete); IV (invalid grade); NG (no grade); NR (non-resident); YR (year long course).

Continue to: Graduation
Return to: Chapter 4 Index