General Information | B.S. in Nursing | Course Descriptions | Faculty
The Nursing Major |
Purpose and Objectives of the Undergraduate Program
Facilities and Resources | Cooperating Institutions and Agencies | Counseling
Student Activities and Honors | Awards and Honors | Additional Expenses | Part-time Employment
Special Student Status | Academic Standing | Readmission after Suspension or Voluntary Withdrawal
Leave of Absence | Course Load | Credit/No Credit Grades | Professional Status upon Graduation
The School of Nursing, accredited by the National League for Nursing and the Virginia State Board of Nursing, is a member of the Council of Baccalaureate and Higher Degree Programs of the National League for Nursing, the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, and the Southern Regional Education Board. The School was first accredited by the National League of Nursing Education in 1941 and appeared on the first list of accredited nursing schools issued by the league.
The hospital-based diploma program in nursing, initiated in 1901, provided the genesis for the School's present degree program. The first baccalaureate degree in nursing, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Education, was offered in 1928 for the first time through a Department of Nursing Education in the School of Education, made possible by an endowment of $50,000 from the Graduate Nurses' Association of Virginia in memory of Sadie Heath Cabaniss, Virginia's outstanding pioneer nurse. The purpose of this degree program was to train registered nurses for teaching, supervisory, or administrative positions in schools of nursing. The present baccalaureate program was established in 1950 as a four-year course. In 1953, a Department of Nursing was established to administer the diploma program, and the two baccalaureate programs, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing and the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Education. The department was under the joint supervision of the School of Medicine, the School of Education, and the University of Virginia Hospital. Three years later, in 1956, this department became the School of Nursing. The curriculum now consists of four years of a combination of liberal arts, interprofessional and core nursing courses.
School of Nursing
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Continue to: Philosophy
Return to: Chapter 11 Index