3: Financial Aid

Applying for Financial Aid | Loans | Student Employment
Special Scholarships and Programs | General Requirements for All Forms of Aid
University and Federal Grants | Employment under the Federal Work Study Program
Student Rights and Responsibilities Regarding Financial Aid

General Requirements for All Forms of Aid

Full Time Status   Students must register for at least 12 credits each semester in order to receive the full financial aid award and to claim their loans, unless the student has received prior approval from the dean for a reduced course load.

Citizenship Status   Students must be United States citizens or permanent residents in order to be eligible for federal, state, or University financial assistance.

IRS Forms   Students awarded financial assistance are required to provide the Office of Financial Aid with a signed copy of their own and their parents' Federal Income Tax Return (1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) before the award is considered final.

Selective Service   Students required under the Military Selective Service Act to register for the draft are required to sign a statement indicating that they have registered before they can receive any federal financial assistance.

Reapplication Requirement   No form of assistance is automatically renewed from year to year but may be reawarded upon reapplication by the appropriate deadline. Students must demonstrate continued financial need and maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards   In order to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance, a student must be maintaining satisfactory academic progress in the course of study the student is pursuing according to the standards and practices of the University. Students who fail to maintain satisfactory progress may not receive the following types of financial aid: University scholarships and grants, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, College Scholarship Assistance Program Grants, Federal Work-Study Employment, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Nursing Loans, Ford Federal Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, or PLUS Loans. Students receiving aid from the Virginia Student Assistance Programs must maintain a 2.0 GPA.

An undergraduate student is considered to have made satisfactory academic progress if the following schedule is maintained.
Before Receiving Financial Aid for the: A Student Must Complete: With a Cumulative GPA of:
Third Semester24 hours1.6
Fourth Semester36 hours1.6
Fifth Semester54 hours1.8
Sixth Semester66 hours1.8
Seventh Semester84 hours1.9
Eighth Semester96 hours1.9

This schedule excludes summer session attendance. A student who fails to satisfy the minimum standards at a preliminary progress check in May has the opportunity to earn credits and meet the requirements in the following summer session.

Except when there are mitigating circumstances, no undergraduate will be eligible to receive financial assistance for more than eight semesters.

Satisfactory academic progress will be reviewed annually prior to the beginning of each academic year. Maintaining satisfactory academic progress is not the same as remaining in good standing according to the standards of the individual schools of the University. Each school will have additional conditions (such as area requirements and major requirements) which must also be fulfilled to remain in good standing. As a result, even though an undergraduate may meet the minimum requirements for continued receipt of financial aid, the student may not be permitted to continue enrollment because of failure to remain in good standing according to conditions established by the dean of the student's school.

Any student receiving financial aid who does not meet the satisfactory progress requirements and whose aid must be withdrawn will be given written notice. The student is responsible for seeing that the Office of the University Registrar has a correct mailing address at all times.

Right of Appeal   Any student whose financial aid has been terminated may submit a written appeal to the Office of Financial Aid, explaining why satisfactory progress was not maintained and giving any reason why aid should not be terminated. Accompanying documentation from the student's dean is recommended.

Re-establishing Satisfactory Progress   After financial aid has been withdrawn, students may re-establish satisfactory academic progress by either of the following methods:

  1. attending summer sessions at their own expense and improving their credits and cumulative grade point averages to meet the required satisfactory academic progress standards, or
  2. attending subsequent semesters at their own expense and improving their credits and cumulative grade point averages to meet the required academic progress standards.

Students who comply with either method should submit to the Office of Financial Aid a written request that their eligibility for financial assistance be reinstated.

Eligibility for Federal Aid   To receive federal financial aid, you cannot be in default on a Federal Perkins Loan, a Federal Stafford Student Loan, a Supplemental Loan for Students (SLS) or a Ford Federal Direct Loan received for study at any post-secondary institution; nor can you owe any refund on a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant previously awarded at any post-secondary institution.

Refunds for Students who Receive Federal Assistance Through Any Program   Although the Refund Policy stated in Chapter 4 is the official University policy, federal regulations may dictate a different refund policy for students receiving assistance from any federal grant or loan programs. In making refunds to these students, the University must compare the refund amount made available to the student through the University policy and the federal refund calculation. In general, the federal calculation requires a specified percentage of refund determined by the elapsed percentage of the term in question.

Elapsed %
of term
Refund %

The refund to the student will be determined using the formula providing the greater refund amount.

Refunds for Students who Receive Federal Aid and Withdraw During Their First Semester   The procedure for refunds to students attending the University for the first time is different, and must be pro rata for any date of withdrawal prior to the sixty percent point in the semester. In this instance, the refund to the student must be a "pro rata refund" of all tuition, fees, room, and board charges as determined by the last recorded date of attendance.

Receiving a Non-University Award  In the event that you receive assistance from a non-University source (scholarship or loan), the University will normally reduce University-awarded financial aid. It is your responsibility to notify the Office of Financial Aid of all outside awards you receive.

Change in Financial Situation   It is your responsibility to notify the Office of Financial Aid of any changes in your financial situation during the year.

Continue to: University and Federal Grants
Return to: Chapter 3 Index