5: University Regulations

Academic Regulations | Non-Academic Regulations | The Honor System
Department of Parking and Transportation Services | Department of Student Health

Academic Grievance Procedure | Academic Probation, Warning, and Suspension
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities | Attendance in Class | Auditing Courses
Awards for Academic Excellence | Changes in Class Schedules | Class Standing
Continuing Education Courses | Course Load | Cross-listed Courses | Diplomas
Enhanced Opportunities for Early Graduation | Final Examinations | Grading System | Graduation
Honorary Degrees | Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals | Non-Resident Status | Petitions
Posthumous Degrees | Readmission | Registration | Repeated Courses | Student Status
Thesis Opportunities | Transcripts | Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit

General Policies   The University of Virginia grants transfer credit based on the content of the courses taken, the applicability of the courses to the students' intended majors and degree programs, and the quality of performance in the courses. Only credit satisfactorily completed at a degree-granting institution of higher education which has been fully accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies (e.g., the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) or at an institution which is a "Recognized Candidate for Accreditation" will be considered for transfer credit.

Credit is allowed only for those courses in which a grade of C or better has been earned. Some programs may require a grade of B or better. Only credits are accepted in transfer. Grades do not transfer and do not effect the student's cumulative grade point average at the University of Virginia. Credit from institutions on a system other than the semester hour system is converted to semester hours. Students receive no more, and may receive fewer than the number of credits earned at the host institutions.

Undergraduate students must take at least fifty-four credits of course work in residence at the University of Virginia to be granted their degrees. In some cases, a student must earn more than sixty credits to satisfy degree requirements. Each school determines this requirement.

A maximum of sixty-six credits may be transferred to the University from a combination of testing programs and academic institutions.

Policies governing transfer credit may vary by school, and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Credit From Foreign Institutions   The University of Virginia grants credit for courses taken at recognized foreign tertiary level institutions. Foreign institutions that are chartered and authorized by their respective national governments (generally through the Ministries of Education) are considered "recognized." Credit is awarded for courses judged to have been completed at a C level or above. The amount of credit granted does not exceed that given for the comparable University of Virginia course. The University of Virginia considers the general guidelines for awarding credit given by the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Student Credentials and the National Association for Foreign Student Affairs.

Credit By Examination   The University of Virginia participates in the Advanced Placement Examinations Program of the Educational Testing Service, and the International Baccalaureate Examination Program. Students who receive grades deemed satisfactory by the academic unit to which they seek admission may receive academic credit. The University does not participate in the College Level Examination Program, the College Proficiency Exam, or the USAFI and DANTES programs of the United States Military Forces.

Admission From Another Undergraduate Institution   Transfer credits taken before matriculation may be used to fulfill area requirements, but they may not be used to fulfill major requirements without being granted special permission by the department. Policies regarding transfer credits may vary by school, and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Additional Information for Newly Admitted Transfer Students   Official transcripts submitted with each application are referred by the Office of Admission to the academic units to which each student seeks admission. Each academic unit evaluates the transcripts and notifies students which credits have been accepted for transfer.

Students seeking admission are responsible for sending the admission office, at the earliest possible date, official transcripts from each institution attended and grades for each advanced placement examination taken which were not submitted at the time of application. Credit can be granted only on the basis of official transcripts sent directly from the educational institutions to the admission office, or on the basis of test scores sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to the admission office. Students completing courses at foreign institutions must submit course descriptions and/or syllabi to determine comparability to University of Virginia courses. Students will be notified if further information is required.

Transfer credit is evaluated only for the degree program to which students are admitted, and is subject to change if students change degree programs. The amount of credit awarded determines class standing. Thus, if credit is not granted for all previous work, the class standing of students at the University of Virginia may differ from what it had been at previous institutions. Policies on transfer credit and class standing may vary by school, and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Enrolled Students Taking Course Work at Other Institutions   Students already enrolled at the University of Virginia must secure the prior permission of their dean's office to enroll in course work at another institution and have academic credit transferred back to the University to apply toward their degree program. After completing course work, students must have official transcripts sent from the institutions in which the courses were taken to the appropriate dean's office. Approval to take courses on a pass/fail basis must also be obtained prior to taking the courses. Courses in which "pass" or "credit" grades are received must be certified as equivalent to a grade of C or higher to be accepted. Courses applied toward the major may not be transferred from another institution to the University except with special permission of the department.

Continue to: Non-Academic Regulations
Return to: Chapter 5 Index