5: University Regulations
Academic Regulations |
Non-Academic Regulations |
The Honor System
Department of Parking and Transportation Services |
Department of Student Health
Registration of Motor Vehicles |
Personal Property Tax |
Modification of Privileges
Registration of Motor Vehicles
General Registration Except at meters or in attended lots, all staff,
faculty, students, and other University affiliated personnel must
purchase and display parking permits on their vehicles in order to park
in University controlled areas. Visitors are required to park at metered
spaces, in attended lots, or in permit areas with appropriately
purchased temporary parking permits.
Eligibility Standard commuter, storage, and reserved parking permits may
be purchased by the following individuals provided they have paid all
parking fines/bills due and have not lost their parking privileges
through suspension or revocation:
- Staff and faculty members
- Graduate students
- Undergraduate students beyond their first semester of their first
year who have grade point averages of at least 2.0 for the preceding
semester, or cumulative, and who are not on academic or social
(Note No first year undergraduate student in their first semester is
permitted to operate a motor vehicle in Charlottesville or Albemarle
County at any time during that semester. Requests for exceptions due to
physical disability are made to the Department of Student Health. All
other requests for exceptions should be made to the Dean of Students.)
- Employees of non-University agencies working full time in buildings
located on the University Grounds.
Visitors may purchase temporary parking permits or park at metered
spaces or attended lots.
Certification By signing a parking permit application form a purchaser:
- Agrees to comply with the regulations set forth herein.
- Is able to furnish evidence of:
- A valid motor vehicle registration.
- A minimum motor vehicle liability insurance coverage prescribed by
the laws of the state in which the vehicle is registered, or having paid
the requisite amount into that state’s uninsured motorist fund.
- Certifies to being the registered owner of the vehicle(s) or:
- The owner is the spouse of the permit purchaser.
- The owner is the parent of the permit purchaser.
- The owner has provided written permission from the Dean of Students
or the Director of Parking and Transportation to the permit purchaser.
The permit year begins June 1 and ends May 31.
Continue to: Parking Permits
Return to: Chapter 5 Index