8: McIntire School of Commerce

General Information | Academic Requirements | Course Descriptions | Faculty

History | The McIntire School Today | Accreditation | Scholarships and Awards
Student Organizations and Activities | Career Opportunities and Resources
Endowed Chairs | Research Programs | McIntire Small Business Institute
McIntire Business Institute | McIntire Commerce Connection | Executive Education Programs
The McIntire School Advisory Board | The McIntire School of Commerce Foundation

History

The University of Virginia was one of the first institutions in the United States to introduce the subject matter of economics into its curriculum. Since the University's first session in 1825, courses of study in this field have been available.

It was not until 1906 that the School of Economics was established as a separate unit within the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1920 a division of business administration was created in the James Wilson School of Economics. In 1921, a donation from an alumnus, Mr. Paul Goodloe McIntire, made possible the establishment of the McIntire School of Commerce and Business Administration. For the next 31 years the McIntire School operated as a distinct division of the College of Arts and Sciences, but its work was closely integrated with the James Wilson School of Economics. In 1952, the University's Board of Visitors approved the establishment of the McIntire School as a professional school to be administered as a separate unit of the University, distinct from the College.


Continue to: The McIntire School Today
Return to: Chapter 8 Index