Note: These deadlines for individual courses are enforced based upon the School (or faculty member’s school) offering the course not the school in which the student is enrolled. For example, an Engineering student enrolled in a College of Arts and Sciences course must follow the College deadlines. There is no withdrawal from Commerce courses.
||Monday, November 11 (date and time available in SIS)
| Graduate Military, Veteran, and ROTC students
||Monday, November 4
(including 5th year Teacher Education Program)
|Tuesday, November 5
|New graduate students and open enrollment
||Monday, December 2
Maximum Credit Hours
- Architecture - 18 credits
- Batten - 17 credits
- College - 15 credits (increase to 17 credits on November 21)
- Commerce - 16 credits (increase to 19 credits on November 21)
- Education - 18 credits
- Engineering - 19 credits
- Nursing - 17 credits
- School of Continuing and Professional Studies - 17 credits
||Add||Drop without Penalty
(course removed from transcript)
| Drop with W **
| - Architecture
- Arts & Sciences
- Commerce *
- Frank Batten School
||March 4 (5:00 PM)
| - Darden
|Do not use SIS for course enrollment; consult school for details
|- Continuing & Professional Studies
||BIS students follow the schedule above; other SCPS students should consult the School’s website at http://www.scps.virginia.edu/audience/students/add-drop-withdrawal or use the contact information at http://www.scps.virginia.edu/contact.
* Withdrawals from Commerce courses are not allowed; please consult your Commerce faculty member for additional information.
** This deadline applies only to withdrawal from individual courses while remaining in other courses. See instructions
below for information on withdrawal from all classes. Withdrawals cannot be made via SIS, and are subject to school regulations.
Withdraw from Class
Use SIS to withdraw from a class!
Students can withdraw from classes in SIS until 11:59 PM on the day of the class withdrawal deadline date. (Non-credit career students will not be able to use the electronic withdraw workflow)
DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO WITHDRAW FROM A CLASS AS THE CLOCK ON YOUR COMPUTER COULD BE BEHIND THE INTERNAL CLOCK IN SIS. “SIS TIME” COUNTS – NOT THE TIME ON YOUR COMPUTER.
To get started, go to the drop tab in your SIS Student Center. Use the DROP transaction for the desired class. When you get the message about withdrawing, click on the "Request Class Withdrawal" link and follow the directions.
- The School of Commerce does not allow class withdrawals from Commerce classes. Thus, you may not withdraw from a COMM class in SIS.
- The School of Engineering does not allow online class withdrawals. If you are an Engineering student, contact your school for assistance.
- If withdrawing from a class results in you falling below your school minimum credit load, approval is not guaranteed. You should continue attending all classes until you receive approval.
- This process cannot be used to withdraw from the University (e.g., from all of your classes). If you are planning to withdraw from the University, please contact your school of enrollment.
Please visit the SIS Help Center for Frequently Asked Questions.
Withdrawal from the University
As of the first day of the semester, dropping all courses requires withdrawing from the University. A percentage of the tuition will be charged, pro-rated based on the week in which the withdrawal is effective. Contact your dean to complete the necessary paperwork. Withdrawals can be made for personal, medical, or uniformed services reasons.
Withdrawals from individual courses after the drop deadline, while remaining registered in other courses, can be made according to the schedule set by the individual schools.