Immediately After an Assault
- Make sure you are safe from further harm. Call someone you trust, such as a friend, your RA, the Office of the Dean of Students, the Women’s Center, the Sexual Assault Resource Agency (SARA), and/or the Police.
- Do not bathe or douche. Try not to urinate if possible.
- If oral contact took place, do not smoke, eat, or brush your teeth.
- Go to the UVA emergency room. Medical attention is vital, as you may have injuries of which you are unaware. They can also test you for sexually transmitted diseases, and provide emergency contraception if desired.
- If you've already changed clothes, place them in a paper bag (plastic destroys evidence). If you haven't changed, keep the original clothes on, and bring an extra set to wear home from the hospital. The police may need to keep your clothes for evidence.
- YOU NEED NOT FORMALLY REPORT THE INCIDENT TO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION OR RECEIVE SUPPORT SERVICES FROM THE UNIVERSITY OR SARA.