Costing Basics Course DescriptionCosting Basics - This is a Core Course
This session will provide a broad overview of costing practices and guidance such as:
- Cost Accounting Standards (CAS)
- Proper use of expenditure types
- General cost allocation topics
- The life cycle of a sponsored project
- What guides our decisions
Through the training, participants will learn to:
- Define direct and indirect costs and their criteria.
- Identify resources for administrators in maintaining CAS compliance.
- Distinguish between non-allowable F&A costs and allowable F&A costs/justification.
- Explain the roles of OSP and the departments in following CAS.
- Review methods to spot potential difficulties BEFORE they become problems.
These sessions are available to anyone interested including:
- Grant administrators
- Graduate Students
- Lab technicians/Lab managers
- Fiscal technicians/Office managers involved with purchasing and charging items to sponsored projects