Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Student Financial Services office?
1001 N Emmet Street, across the street from the Barracks Road Shopping Center. You can reach us at (434) 982-6000 or faid@virginia.edu. We’re also on Twitter and Facebook.



Does U.Va. have an electronic billing system?
Yes, we accept eCheck and credit card payments here.

How can I pay with cash?
At the Cashier’s Office in Carruthers Hall.

As an international student, how do I make a payment?
Payments may be made on QuikPay using a credit card or eCheck from a U.S. bank account with a U.S. billing address. Payments may also be made by wire or by mail. Please make checks payable to the University of Virginia and include the SIS or University ID number on the memo line.

How do I know if my payment went through? How long does it take?
Payments should be credited to QuickPay immediately. The payment will be reflected in SIS overnight.

Does U.Va. offer a monthly payment plan?
The payment plan allows 5 monthly payments per semester. Click here for more information.

How do I cancel remaining payments on my monthly payment plan?
Please contact Nelnet, the company that administers QuikPay, at (800) 609-8056.

I’m enrolled in the payment plan--why do I still have a balance on my bill?
Balances to be covered by future installments show as future due, as they have not yet been paid.

What if I missed the payment plan enrollment period?
You may be able to sign up for the Brewer Deferment.

Can I pre-pay all four years of tuition?
No. You must pay on a per-semester basis according to the most current Tuition and Fee Schedule.

Can I get a payment deferral?
Payment is due by the listed due date.



How can I view my bill online?
The "Current Statement" section of QuikPay will display the bill for the semester.

How can I get a paper bill?
You may print a statement and remittance advice from the “View Current Statement” link on QuikPay.

Why aren’t my payments or new charges updated on my bill?
Statements are generated only once per semester. QuikPay‘s “Current Account Activity” on reflects all charges and payments.

How will I be notified of a new bill?
Students and QuikPay authorized payers will receive an email when a new term statement is available.

What is “anticipated aid?”
Anticipated aid is funding expected from a third party. Credit is given for the amount of the aid while we wait for the funds.

My anticipated aid is not credited to my bill. Can I just pay the difference?

What does it mean to have a negative account balance?
A negative account balance means you have more aid or payments than the amount you owe, and you are likely due to receive a refund.

I’m graduating. When will I find out my balance that must be paid before I leave school?
You may check your balance any time on SIS or the “Current Account Activity” page on QuikPay.

Where can I find my 1098-T tax form?
A 1098-T form states qualified tuition and fee charges incurred during the tax year. It is available in the “Finances” section of SIS by the end of January.


What are the charges on my bill?
Commonly billed charges include tuition, housing, dining, comprehensive, and activity fees.

Can I opt out of any fees?

Is there a different tuition charge for in-state and out-of-state students?
Yes. For questions about qualifying for in-state status, please call (434) 982-3391.

What is this year’s Cost of Attendance?
The current estimated cost of attendance is available here under the link “Financial Aid Basics.”

My health insurance fee was waived—why am I still being charged?
Please contact Student Health at (434) 924-1525.

Why am I being billed for cable TV for a month I wasn’t at school?
Telecommunications charges are billed on a delayed basis and may not appear for up to a month.

How do I request a waiver of the admission deposit?
Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (434) 982-3200.



When will I get my refund?
Refunds are authorized beginning approximately 3 business days before the start of the semester. Students with direct deposit will receive their refunds most quickly.

How do I sign up for direct deposit?
Students can sign up for direct deposit by clicking the "Direct Deposit" link in the Finances section of SIS.

I dropped a course. Am I eligible for a tuition refund?
Depending on the date you dropped the course, you may be eligible for a partial refund.



How do I get an emergency Lee Loan?
To apply for a Lee Loan, please bring your ID card to the SFS office in Carruthers Hall.

Why does my account have a financial hold?
The most common reason for a financial hold is having a balance due. Please check your balance. 

Why am I on financial hold if I have aid pending?
If the amount of “Pending Aid” doesn’t cover the entire balance, you must pay the difference before your hold can be removed.

How does tuition affect my personal income tax?
SFS is unable to provide tax advice. Please contact a tax professional.

How do I access my transcript?
Unofficial transcripts are available through SIS. For official transcripts, please call (434) 924-4122.


How do I apply for financial aid?
Entering & Transfer Undergrads: Complete FAFSA and CSS Profile,
Continuing Undergrads & All Grads:  Complete FAFSA and University Financial Aid Application (on SIS)

When is the financial aid application deadline?
March 1.

What are the eligibility requirements for Financial Aid?
Please check the requirements for financial aid under the “Financial Aid Basics” link here.

Do you offer financial aid for international students?
You may check the requirements for financial aid under the “Financial Aid Basics” link here.

What is the CSS Profile?
Similar to the FAFSA, the CSS Profile is used to gather data that is used to award institutional funding.

What are the U.Va. Federal School Code and CSS Profile Code?
Federal School Code: 003745
CSS Profile Code: 5820

How do I make changes to my PROFILE or University Financial Aid Application?
Please print the page(s), write in the correction, and have both parent and student sign the page. Then fax, mail, or deliver it to SFS.

Where do I download a form?
Under the “Forms” link here.

How do I apply for Summer Session financial aid?
If you have an application on file for the previous academic year and register for at least 6 total credit hours, there is no separate application. Typically, the only aid available for Summer are loans.



What types of aid are available?
For more information on the types of need-based aid available, please see the “Types of Aid” link here. If you have questions about merit-based aid, please contact the donor.

What is a Direct Loan?
A Direct Loan is a low-interest educational loan administered by the federal government with repayment serviced by a third-party company.

What is a Pell Grant?
A Pell Grant is a federal government award for students from low-income families. It does not have to be repaid.

How do I sign a Master Promissory Note and complete loan counseling?
MPNs and counseling for all federal loans are available at studentloans.gov.

How do I check the status of my financial aid application?
Returning students who applied on time and who completed all required To Do Llist items in a timely manner should receive their financial aid award notification before the fall term statement is produced in July.

I submitted an Appeal for Reconsideration. Should I pay my bill or wait for the appeal results?
Please contact Student Financial Services.

Can you recommend a loan provider?
SFS does not make recommendations for private loan providers.










News/Announcements | Tuition & Fee Schedule | Student Payment Info | Tax Topics | Forms | Financial Policies & Procedures | SIS | Academic Calendar | Staff Directory

Phone (434) 982-6000
Fax (434) 924-7636

Site maintained by Student Accounts Webmaster
Last Modified: Friday, 04-Oct-2013 16:04:57 EDT
Copyright 2012 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia

UVa Home Page Web Site Index Search/Directory WebMap WebCalendar University of Virginia Home Page Registrar's Office Home Page