Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the best way to get to the Student Health Center?
A. Elson Student Health is on the UTS Blue and Green Bus Lines. Some limited-time parking is available for student patients in the U-5 lot behind the building. Handicapped parking is available on the Monroe Lane side of the building for students with permanent permits.

Q. Where is Student Health located?
A. The Elson Student Health Center is on the corner of Jefferson Park and Brandon Avenues. The Student Health Center is one block away from the University Medical Center and only a short distance from the University Lawn.

Q. When is Student Health open?
A. During the academic year, Student Health is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. At all other times a health care provider is on call and can be reached by calling the Health Center at 434-297-4261. Summer and break hours are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Q. What do I do if there is an emergency?
A. In an emergency or life-threatening situation, call the Charlottesville-Albemarle Rescue Squad at 911 from any phone on grounds. If the Health Center is closed and you need to speak to someone about an urgent concern or problem, care providers are always on call through the answering service, 434-297-4261. Be sure to tell the operator the nature of your emergency.

Q. If I have an urgent medical, gynecological, or emotional problem and the on-call provider directs me to the Emergency Room, what happens?
A. You may receive care at the U.Va. Hospital Emergency Room. As with other services received outside of Student Health, you will be financially responsible for ER services, co-payment or co-insurance that is not covered by your health insurance plan.

Q. What are my options for being seen at Student Health?
A. We encourage you to make an appointment, to make the best use of your time. If you have an urgent need and no appointment, we have a triage system whereby you can see or speak with a care provider who will advise you, refer you for same-day care, or suggest a scheduled appointment.

  • For General Medicine, call 982-3915.
  • For Gynecology, call 924-2773.
  • For Counseling and Psychology Services, call 924-5556.

Q. What is SDAC?
A. SDAC stands for Student Disability Access Center. SDAC is located at the Elson Student Health facility. Professional staff identify student accommodation and service needs and coordinate these for students, requesting faculty, or deans. For more information go to the SDAC website.

Q. Where can I continue allergy shots while in school?
A. Student Health administers allergy injections on Tuesday through Friday 9 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. for a fee per visit. First, call for an allergy clearance appointment at 982-3915. Bring your allergy serum and complete physician instructions with you. We will store your vaccines at Student Health according to your allergist's instructions. Allergy appointments may be scheduled on-line. Please visit our allergy website for additional information.

Q. I graduated in May and I wondered if I could be seen at the Health Center?
A. Spring semester graduates must conclude their care by the end of the week following graduation.