International Travel Clinic
Welcome to the UVA Student Health Travel Clinic!
We are pleased to offer students up-to-date and personalized travel-related medical care. We are staffed by a team of professionals dedicated to your health and safety while learning, exploring, and visiting abroad. The Travel Clinic is coordinated by Dr. Anjali Silva, Certified in Travel Medicine.
Travel Clinic is a service for all students who need travel-related counseling, immunizations or prescriptions, regardless of whether the trip is for academic or personal reasons. Travel clinic is ideal for travel to low and medium resource destinations where there is greater medical risk associated with travel. In general, a travel clinic appointment is not necessary for travel to high resource locations, such as Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand. However, physicals for study abroad programs to any location are available.
Health recommendations change frequently for travel to specific areas. To ensure that all students receive the appropriate medical care, a Travel Clinic appointment is required for any student requesting travel-related prescriptions or immunizations, even if the student has previously had travel counseling at Student Health or with an outside medical provider.
All appointments for travel should be scheduled as early as possible in the travel planning process. This ensures ample time for appointment scheduling and more importantly, for travel vaccines to take effect prior to departure.
Please note that the format of travel clinic has changed. Travel clinic consultations are now offered as individual appointments at specified times, free of charge (there are charges for vaccines and prescriptions). Students are required to complete the Travel Clinic Learning Module prior to their individual travel appointment. Students MUST PRESENT their CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION for the learning module at their appointment regardless of previous travel clinic experience. This can be in printed form, or in the form of a screenshot. Without proof of completion, students will need to reschedule.
Same day appointments are not available. There is a charge of $40 for last minute appointments during peak times (before winter, spring and summer breaks).
Customized Travel Classes for Groups travelling to the same destination can be accommodated. See further information below.*
Step 1: Log into your Healthy Hoos account.
https://www.healthyhoos.virginia.edu/. Click "Forms".
Step 2: Complete Travel Questionnaire (required). Please be specific and complete in responses.
Step 3: After submitting the travel questionnaire, call the General Medicine Clinic at 434-982-3915 to schedule your appointment at least four weeks before your departure date.
Step 4: Prepare for your travel appointment:
- Students are required to complete the Travel Clinic Learning Module and print out the certificate prior to their appointment.
- Medical/Nursing students doing clinical rotations abroad are also required to complete the Clinical Rotations Abroad Module and print out the certificate prior to their appointment.**
- If you have a physical form that needs to be completed by the clinician, you are required to complete your portion of the form prior to your appointment.
- Review travel health information (see below).
- Register with the Education Abroad Office, if applicable.
- Consider potential costs that may be associated with your travel-related medical care.
- Vaccinations take time become effective (ideally 4-6 weeks). In addition, some vaccines require a complete series given over the course to provide immunity. Plan ahead.
- Vaccines are not free of charge. Please review costs prior to your visit.
- Vaccines are sometimes in shortage nationally. This may require a return visit to complete vaccines. In addition, students may not get a second chance to receive a vaccine for a no-show. Ask to speak to a triage nurse if there are concerns about vaccine availability.
TRAVEL HEALTH INFORMATION:
- CDC Travelers Health Website
- UVa Student Health Travel Website
- General Travel Recommendations
- Region Specific Travel Recommendations
- Travel Specific Topics
* Customized Travel Classes for Groups to the same destination:
This service is available free of charge for groups of students that are traveling together to the same destination. A customized group travel class can be arranged by contacting Anjali Silva MD or Melissa Surgine-Smith. A minimum of 2-4 weeks advanced notice to set up the clinic; have the following information ready:
- Dates of travel
- How many in are in your group
- Specific destinations and number of days at each destination
- Special activities
- Special requests for vaccines like JE, yellow fever or rabies
- Approximate times/days available for travel clinic
**Post Exposure Prophylaxis for Medical/Nursing Care Abroad:
Language immersion programs, shadowing medical personnel, taking vital signs, and medical chart reviews do not constitute a significant exposure risk. If you are not a medical or nursing student, it is recommended that you not be involved in procedures with possible blood and body fluid exposure.