Skip to Content

Admission for Visiting Students

Please read the instructions below before completing the application to enroll.

If you plan to enroll for undergraduate study and have not been admitted to an undergraduate degree program at the University, please apply for admission as a visiting student. You must certify that you are a high school graduate or have had equivalent preparation. Undergraduates from other institutions should also apply for admission as a visiting student.

If you hold a bachelor's degree and want to enroll for graduate study, are not in a graduate degree program at this University and do not plan to pursue one here, please apply for admission as a visiting graduate student. If instead you want to begin work toward a graduate degree or other program at this University, you must apply directly to the appropriate graduate school at least two months in advance of Summer Session registration.

University of Virginia students who were not enrolled in a degree program during the Spring 2013 semester, are receiving a degree in May 2013, have been on a leave of absence, have been taking courses through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, or are enrolled in Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies program should also complete the University of Virginia Application for Permission to Enroll. If you have a question concerning your status please contact our office.

Admission to the Summer Session does not constitute admission to the University, nor does it allow students to register for the subsequent fall and spring semesters.

Complete the University of Virginia Application for Permission to Enroll.  

Visiting Student Orientation:

Learn how to get the most out of your time as a UVa student!  Attend the resource fair the day before classes begin.

Come learn about the opportunities and services available to you during the summer.  This event is geared towards visiting students, but all are encouraged to attend. 

Resource Fair for Visiting Students

Visiting Students are invited to drop by the Resource Fair. The University ID Office will be open from 1pm-4pm for visiting students to receive an ID card.  Be sure to bring a government-issued photo ID with you to receive a University ID.  UVa Guides will lead tours of Grounds at 12pm, 1pm, and 4pm beginning at the Lawn side of the Rotunda. 

Representatives from the following offices will have tables set up to assist you:

Information Technology Services
get help setting up your laptop on the Cavalier wireless network and readying your computer for accessing UVa online resources.

University Bookstore
learn about the options available to you from the UVa bookstore, including text book purchases.

UVa Dining
find out about your options for dining on Grounds, both in the dining halls and retailers. Ask about kosher, halal, vegetarian and other special dining needs options.

Housing & Residence Life
learn more about Balz-Dobie Residence Hall and the programming available to you as an on-Grounds resident

University Transit Services & Parking
need to get around?  The blue UTS buses are free and will take you all over Grounds.  Parking will let you know about options for your visitors to park over the summer.

Office of Summer and Special Academic Programs
representatives from our office will be on hand to answer any lingering questions related to course registration, tuition payment and other administrative matters.

Honor Committee
student representatives from the honor committee will be available to answer questions about the University of Virginia Honor System.

ID Office
located in Observatory Hill Dining Hall, the ID office, will be open from 1 to 4:00 for you to obtain your University of Virginia ID card.  You’ll need this card for library services, fitness centers and Charlottesville buses.  Be sure to take your government issued photo ID with you (drivers license, passport, etc).


Senior Citizens
In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University offers courses with tuition and required fee waived on a space-available basis. To be eligible, a person must be at least sixty years old and have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University. To qualify as a student for credit, the senior citizen's taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $15,000.

There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. The senior citizen must receive the permission of the instructor in order to audit the course.

Students at UVa