Skip to Content

Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid:

Financial Aid is available for Summer Session through Student Financial Services. The major sources of financial assistance for Summer Session are the federal loan programs:

  • Student Loans - Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized
  • Parent Loans - Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (Plus Loan)
  • Alternative Loans - Guaranteed Access to Education (GATE Loan)

For students to be considered for any summer Financial Aid, the following criteria must be met:

  • Must be a degree seeking student at UVA.
  • Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Undergraduate students must be registered for at least six hours in UVA credit-bearing courses for the summer.
  • Graduate students must be registered for at least three hours in UVA credit-bearing courses for the summer.
  • Must complete the Summer Financial Aid Application

In Addition:
If you are a Returning Undergraduate or Graduate student applying for the Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans:

  • You must have a 2010-2011 Free Application for Federal Student Aid on file.

If you are an Entering 1st Year Graduate Student:

  • Complete the 2010-2011 FAFSA

For additional information please contact the Financial Aid website at:

Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at (434) 982-6000 for further information.

Other Financial Assistance

A limited amount of financial aid may be available for graduate students in Education.
Contact the Curry School of Education:

405 Emmet Street, University of Virginia,
P. O. Box 400261, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4261.
Departments will begin to consider financial aid applications on May 1, 2009.

General Financial Aid:
The Curry School of Education home page contains a general section on financial aid and assistantships.
You can access that information on the website:

Mountain Lake Biological Station:
offers financial aid via the Walton Scholarship Fund. There are also numerous service awards available for room and board. Duties involve working in the dining hall or cleaning the laboratory and assisting with the opening and closing of the Station. Contact the Director:

064 Gilmer Hall, University of Virginia,
P. O. Box 400327
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4327.

Veterans' Benefits
The Office of the University Registrar is the University's liaison between the Department of Veterans' Affairs and the student, concerning educational benefits available to veterans under the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapters 30, 31, 32, 35, and 1606). The University Registrar will certify enrollment to the VA. Inquiries regarding Veterans' Affairs educational benefits should be addressed to the Office of the University Registrar, Carruthers Hall, P. O. Box 400203, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4203, (434) 924-4122 or For information concerning "War Orphans", please contact Naomi Crawford at Student Financial Services: (434) 982-6000. For Information on veterans' benefits and various VA forms, visit the VA web page:

Senior Citizens
In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University offers courses with tuition and required fee waived on a space-available basis. To be eligible, a person must be at least sixty years old and have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University. To qualify as a student for credit, the senior citizen's taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $15,000.

There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. The senior citizen must receive the permission of the instructor in order to audit the course.