Hoo’s Recycle to Win!
February 2 – March 29, 2014
U.Va. is participating in an eight-week competition during which schools are ranked by how much recycling, trash and food waste they collect. Collectively, 90.8 million pounds of recyclables and food waste were diverted from landfills and the production of 121,436 metric tons of carbon emissions was avoided during the 2013 Recyclemania competition. To put that in perspective, it would take 99,538 acres of U.S. forests one year to sequester that amount of carbon emissions!
- Grand Champion
- Per Capita Classic
- Waste Minimization
- Gorilla Prize
- Bottles and Cans
- Food Service Organics
U.Va.’s Recyclemania Results:
|Year||Recycling Rate||Pounds Recycled||Pounds/person|
Recycling makes a big difference in reducing environmental impacts- here’s how you can help:
1) Learn what is recyclable at U.Va.
2) Clean your workspace or room and recycle all unwanted items.
3) Students can volunteer for Game Day Challenge Basketball to help U.Va. achieve zero waste at the February 22nd basketball game against Notre Dame! Check our Facebook page to sign up.
4) See litter around Grounds? Pick it up and dispose of it properly! Get rewarded for your good deeds by participating in U.Va.’s Litterati campaign.
5) Organize a “Dorm Storm” in your residential area. The same principles can be applied to offices as well!
6) E-cycle old cell phones, batteries and other small electronics.