Committee on Sustainability
Committee Reporting Relationship
The Committee reports to the Executive Vice Presidents.
The Committee on Sustainability advises the Executive Vice Presidents on all matters related to the University's commitment to sustainability and how those impact the future of the University including interrelated environmental, financial, teaching, research, and social aspects. In carrying out this charge, the Committee shall be engaged in the following:
- Fostering the development and dissemination of sustainability knowledge through research and teaching.
- Promoting the highest-standards of sustainable practice on Grounds.
- Engaging the civic and academic communities in topics associated with sustainability.
- Contributing to and reporting on progress in achieving the University's sustainability goals.
The Committee shall be co-chaired by one academic and one administrative member appointed by the Executive Vice Presidents. Leadership of the Committee and its sub-Committees shall rotate at least biennially. The Committee membership, also appointed by the Executive Vice Presidents, shall draw from the following departments and areas:
- Facilities Management
- Office of the Architect
- Business Operations
- Medical Center
- Associate Vice President for Sustainability and Environment
- Minimum of four at-large faculty members drawn from the eleven Schools1 and including at least one member who will represent the research community
- Minimum of three at-large student members including at least one graduate student
- Faculty Senate
- Staff Senate
- Student Affairs & Residence Life
- University Human Resources
- Office for Diversity and Equity
- Information Technology Services
- Community Relations
- UVA Foundation
- Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services
1. Architecture, Engineering and Applied Sciences, Commerce, Darden, Law, Batten, Arts and Sciences, Curry, Medicine, Nursing, and Continuing and Professional Studies.