Skip to Content
Q&A with a U.Va. Veteran
- Please describe your experience in the military as well as your class status at UVa and major:
Engineering Science – Materials Concentration
I've served 5 years on active duty in the Army and 4 years in the Army National Guard. My military occupational specialty is a Fire Support Specialist (Forward Observer). I have done 2 tours of duty in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- What attracted you to UVa?
Both my sister and brother in law graduated from UVA, and the schools engineering program is one of the best in the nation.
- What is it like to be a student veteran at UVa?
Transitioning from a military lifestyle to life as a student was not the easiest the process. I had become so accustomed to life in the military that life as a student seemed so foreign at first. When I first started school here I only know a couple of veterans on campus, and I had a really hard time connecting to the other students on campus. As I have progressed through my education, I have discovered other veteran organizations on campus such as the Military Veterans at UVA.
- What would you like a student-veteran to know about your experience at UVa?
During my time at UVA, the veteran support network has grown considerably, and I have seen a lot of great individuals working to continue the growth of that network on campus. Also, as a veteran you're not alone on this campus. There are other veterans at UVA who have the same experiences and sacrifices.
- What has been the most helpful thing you have found at UVa to support during your time here?
The Military Veterans at UVA has been a great organization to find and meet other veterans on campus. I have also had some great professors in the engineering school that have given me support and guided me in the right direction.
- What do you like about Charlottesville?
The history of Charlottesville has definitely been one of my favorite aspects of this area.
- What do you like to do for fun?
The E-School usually keeps me busy, but when I'm not deriving equations, I spend most of my free time working out or on the side of a mountain.
- Other things you would like for us to know about you?
Any veterans on campus can feel free to contact me at email@example.com.