Top Q & A For Parents
Additional Q&As for Parents
Admission/Financial Aid/Academics
Visiting & Transportation
Student Life
Safety/Health Care
Top Q and A for Parents
Admission Office
President's Office
Human Resources
People/Web Search
Frequently Requested Addresses
U.Va. Map
U.Va. Schools
All Academic Departments
Statistics About U.Va.

Safety/Health Care 
Q How is safety addressed at the University of Virginia? What has been done to make the Grounds safe? What are the crime statistics?

Safety is a concern on all university campuses. As a result, the University of Virginia strives to provide the University community with a professional law enforcement response. In order to accomplish this goal, the University police department offers the same level of services as a municipal police department, as well as many other services unique to an academic institution.

The University has established a number of programs and physical improvements to help keep your child safe. The University has more than 200 "blue light" emergency phones located near dorms, academic buildings, walkways, parking lots, and many other locations around the Grounds. In addition, cellular phones, programmed with 911, are available for student loan at the libraries. The University police also provides safety seminars, self-defense classes for women, and neighborhood, worker, and student watch programs. The police department's web site offers a comprehensive list of safety programs and crime statistics.

Education through the Office of Health Promotion at Student Health also supports the creation of a safer, more connected community through their education programs and classes.

Buses run at least until midnight, and go to the dorms and downtown, so that students who are uncomfortable walking can take a University (or a city) bus.

Q What is the University's policy on alcohol and drugs? Are treatment programs available?

The University of Virginia does not condone the illegal or otherwise irresponsible use of alcohol and other drugs. It is the responsibility of every member of the University community to know the risks associated with substance use and abuse. This responsibility obligates students to know relevant University policies and federal, state, and local laws and to conduct themselves in accordance with these laws and policies. To these ends, the University publishes the following information regarding University policies and sanctions; laws and penalties concerning substance use and abuse; health and behavioral risks of drug use; and resources for treatment and educational programming. More information.

U.Va. offers the following treatment/awareness programs.
Substance Abuse Resources Educational Programming
Center for Alcohol and Substance Education — The coordinating body for alcohol and other drug prevention and education at the University. Services include peer education programs, educational classes, and intervention training (924-5276).
Peer Health Educators — A peer group trained in substance abuse information providing informal educational sessions (924-1509).
University Police Department — Officers provide information and seminars in the legal aspects of areas related to substance abuse (924-7166).

Q Are parents notified if there is an alcohol problem?

The University of Virginia's philosophy in dealing with students who commit major alcohol- or drug-related infractions or who demonstrate a pattern of substance abuse is to work with them to solve these problems and to focus on education. The University will continue to rely on on the professional judgment of its faculty and administrators when assessing each student's situation.

In addition, due to the recent amendment to federal laws giving colleges the authority to notify parents of students under 21 who violate alcohol or drug laws, the University has adopted a written Parental Notification Policy.

This policy is in addition to the intervention and education programs already offered students when such infractions are brought to our attention. Intervention may include one or more of the following: substance abuse assessment by a trained clinician; psychological assessment by a trained clinician; substance abuse counseling; enrollment in educational programs.

View the Parental Notification Policy for detailed information on when parents will be notified of a problem.

Q What kind of Student Health Program is available for students?

Student Health provides outpatient care in General Medicine, Gynecology, and Counseling and Psychological Services to enrolled students who have paid the Student Health fee. The fee covers the costs of all professional services. Students are charged for lab tests, medications, and some supplies. When necessary, students are referred for specialty services and hospitalization. Through its Office of Health Promotion, the professional staff and Peer Health Educators of Student Health provide education and support programs within the center and on Grounds. These educational services are also included in the Student Health fees. For more information, visit the Elson Student Health Web site.

Q If my son/daughter already has insurance through our family insurance, do I need to buy the U.Va. endorsed plan?

No, an alternative plan is acceptable, but University faculty, staff, and students are involved in assuring that the U.Va. sponsored plan provides excellent coverage. We encourage you to compare carefully before selecting your plan.

  Admission/Financial Aid/Academics | Visiting/Transportation | Student Life | Safety/Health Care


Maintained by (Web Communications Office)
Last Modified: Wednesday, 28-Apr-2004 12:03:41 EDT
© 2014 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia

[an error occurred while processing this directive]