Top Q & A About UVa
VR Tours of the Dorms. Click image.
Additional Q&As for Parents
Admission/Financial Aid/Academics
Visiting & Transportation
Student Life
Safety/Health Care
Top Q and A About UVa
Admission Office
President's Office
Human Resources
People/Web Search
Frequently Requested Addresses
U.Va. Maps
U.Va. Schools
All Academic Departments
Statistics About U.Va.

Student Life 
Q What are the housing/residence options for entering students? After the first year?

All students entering any of the undergraduate schools directly from secondary school are required to live in one of the residence houses during their first two regular semesters at the University. The Associate Director of the Housing Division may authorize, upon request, exceptions to this residence requirement in cases involving students who will live at home with their families. Married or single parent students who will establish their homes at the University should also request exemption. Upper-class and graduate students may live in University accommodations on the Grounds, in fraternity or sorority houses, or in privately owned accommodations.

Take a virtual tour of the UVA dorms!

Visit the Housing Division's web site to view housing options and also housing rates.

Q What are meal plan options for first-year students?

Students have a wide variety of dining options — from pizza to health food — as well as a variety of meal plans. Visit Dining Services' web site to view information on menus, facilities, nutrition, and additional meal plan information.

Q What kind of extracurricular activities does the University offer for students?

There are more than 300 CIOs, or Contracted Independent Organizations, at U.Va., ranging from the American Institute of Architecture Students to Young Life Leadership. They reflect every political and cultural point of view and offer programming and study for many groups.

The University has increased its programming for students in recent years and offers a wide variety of social activities, from varsity athletics to the fall drama season, concerts, and athletic events. See the Web Calendar and Student Activities Calendar for more information on current and upcoming events.

Q What kinds of fitness facilities does U.Va. have? Can any student use these facilities, or are they reserved for the student athletes?

U.Va. has a variety of wonderful fitness facilities that all students can use. The Intramural Sports Office web site posts the hours the facilities are open, which include a new aquatic and fitness center near the student dorms, a fitness center on the north Grounds by the law and graduate business school, numerous tennis courts, indoor pools, basketball courts, and more. Fitness programs abound at U.Va. and all students are entitled to their use.

Q Can students have cars at U.Va.? Is a car necessary at U.Va.?

Graduate students are allowed to have a car at U.Va. Undergraduate students beyond their first semester of their first year who have grade point averages of at least 2.0 for the preceding semester, or cumulative, and who are not on academic or social probation are allowed to have a car.

First-year undergraduate students are not permitted to operate a motor vehicle in Charlottesville or Albemarle County at any time during the first year. Requests for exceptions due to physical disability are made to the Department of Student Health. All other requests for exceptions should be made to the Dean of Students. More information and parking and car registration.

The University has its own bus system with several routes through Grounds. University students can also ride Charlottesville City buses free of charge if they transfer from a University bus to a city bus. Therefore, although a car may be convenient, it is by no means necessary.

Q U.Va. seems to have a distinctive language. Can you tell me more?
A Students, faculty, and staff have their own vocabulary at U.Va. (otherwise referred to as "the Grounds," and never "the Campus"). Several terms are associated with the buildings designed by Thomas Jefferson (otherwise referred to as Mr. Jefferson). The original academical village, which includes the Rotunda and the terraced green space and the ten Pavilions, is called "the Lawn." Jefferson referred to this collection of buildings as the academical village. Undergraduates are known by their year in school (first-year students, second-year students, never freshmen or sophomores).
Q Do students need to bring a computer to the University? Are there any computer system requirements and should my son/daughter wait until he/she gets to school to purchase one?

Although it is not required, it is expected that students bring their own computer with them to the University. The reasons are many. Students have discovered that having their own computers is the best way to learn the vital skills necessary for long-term success in a high-tech world. Increasingly, faculty are incorporating computer-based exercises and assignments into their courses. With their own computers, students can work at their own pace in the comfort and safety of their residence hall, and they can personalize their system so routine tasks are easier and faster. Computers can be found in public labs - offered on a first-come, first-served, standard configuration basis - but are frequently in great demand during busy times of the semester. Information Technology and Communication (ITC) offers more information in its Handbook for New Students, including recommendations on the type of computer to buy and offers more information for entering students on telephones, computers, and cable.

  Admission/Financial Aid/Academics | Visiting/Transportation | Student Life | Safety/Health Care


Maintained by (Web Communications Office)
Last Modified: Wednesday, 28-Apr-2004 12:09:55 EDT
© 2014 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia

[an error occurred while processing this directive]