Senior Leadership Meeting December 15, 1998 -- Remarks
Science and Technology Planning Commission
- JTC stressed dialogue thats an important building block for this
- In a nutshell, we will create a plan to attain further excellence in science and
- In science and technology, change is prevalent. New discoveries are changing the face of
- Change is on a decade by decade basis.
- Research has become very competitive business.
- Our work will include:
- Looking at who we are and what we have done.
- Learning from the best, but crafting a set of principles on which the University can
achieve excellence in ways no one else has.
- One challenge will be sustaining funding for the initiatives.
- It will be necessary to have a plan to sustain funding from many sources, including
- Economic realities
- By late spring, hope to have enunciated "Fundamental Principles" of what would
make sense in guiding our work. Not specifics, but fundamentals.
- I strongly believe we are in era of great change.
- We have an opportunity to build something better than what we had before. We have an
opportunity to educate students better, and to produce research results that lead us to a
new level of achievement.
- I also believe that given the strength of the U. S. economy, we have tremendous
opportunities for funding.