P.O. Box 400308
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4308
Provost's Search Committee Tutorial: A Primer
Please Note: This is not the tutorial but a narrative version of tutorial materials, a primer if you will. Reading through this material will NOT give the necessary certification for serving on a faculty search committee. It is designed instead to offer all who are interested a chance to become familiar with the material covered in the tutorial prior to taking the tutorial and/or a chance to review material and references for individual topics after you have taken the tutorial.
If you would like to actually take the tutorial please click here.
Who Takes Which Training?
|Type of Position to Be Filled||
Must Take Provost's Tutorial
Must Take EOP Training
|-- tenured/tenure track||X|
Instructions for Taking the Online Tutorial
Certification: To get credit for taking the tutorial you must click on the “Click for Certification” button at the bottom of the Answer/Discussion/References page for the last question, #13.
- 13 questions
- You can take as much time as you need
- Times out after 20 minutes of inactivity but take as much time as you need as long as you don't have a 20 minute period of inactivity
- You will receive email notification that you have completed the tutorial
- Certification lasts for two years
- We do not track your time nor do we store your answers
- We do track completion of the tutorial
- Optional comments made at the end of the tutorial will be anonymous
When you click on the "Begin Tutorial" button on the “Instructions” page of the actual tutorial, you will be taken to the "NetBadge Login" page for U.Va. authentication. Please enter your U.Va. computing ID and password (usually an email password) as noted on that page.
Table of Contents
- Why a Faculty Search Committee Tutorial?
- Tutorial Instructions (also included in the actual tutorial)
- Courting Candidates in an Age of Social Media
- Before Writing the Position Description
- Hiring International Faculty
- Active Recruitment
- Expanding Trusted Networks
- Hidden Biases
- Reference Letters
- Cognitive Errors
- Research Based Interventions that May Help Mitigate Gender Bias
- What Do we Do Well at U.Va.?
- Dual Careers
- End of Game Strategies: The Role of the Search Committee After the Offer Has Been Made