The Council of Graduate Schools/Peterson’s honored the University of Virginia with a prestigious award that included a grant to establish the Inter-Ethnic/Interdisciplinary Mentoring Institute for Graduate Education (the Mentoring Institute). The Office of the Vice President for Research (VPR) designated the Office of Graduate Student Diversity Programs to implement the mentoring program. Graduate Student Diversity Programs is tasked with increasing the number of marginalized groups in graduate studies as well as retaining and graduating these particular students at UVA under the Mentoring Institute.
The Mentoring Institute organizes activities throughout the school year to foster faculty-student relationships as well as acclimate students to the rigors of the academy. Participants communicate weekly or biweekly from October to November and from February to May. Faculty members advise their mentees on how to navigate graduate school successfully and strategically, while they develop their skills in working with traditionally disadvantaged groups by learning and understanding the challenges multicultural students face.
The goal of the Mentoring Institute is to create a welcoming, supportive, and inclusive environment for graduate students of marginalized groups (e.g., race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation).
• Enhance the educational experience of first and second year graduate students and facilitate their successful transition to training and researching at U.Va.
• Increase the recruitment, retention and graduation rates of marginalized groups at U.Va.
Participants of the Mentoring Institute are selected on a competitive basis. Eligible individuals are:
• Students who graduated from undergraduate institutions classified as baccalaureate-level, masters-level, or small doctoral colleges and universities (students from minority-serving institutions encouraged to apply);
• First-generation graduate student status, and academic or major discipline; and
• Graduate students from a diverse cross-section of academic disciplines and ethnic backgrounds.
Applications are due no later than September 15, each fall for the upcoming Academic Year by 4t00 pm at the Office of Graduate Student Diversity Programs (located in Varsity Hall, 1st Floor #41 on Map). Please click one of the links below to download an application.
Please submit your completed application to the following address:
Office of Graduate Student Diversity Programs
Attn: The Mentoring Institute
P.O. Box 400882
Charlottesville, VA 22904
For more information about the program, please feel free to contact the Office of Graduate Student Diversity Programs at 434.243.4014.
Back to Diversity main page