The Virginia Innovation Partnership is a statewide network designed to accelerate innovation and economic growth. The goal is to build value for the Commonwealth by creating Virginia-based start-up companies, attracting established corporations to invest in Virginia, and enhancing the licensing potential for technologies.
Proposals were due by 5pm on Friday, November 15, 2013. Selected proposals were invited to give an oral presentation to the Review Board and Governing Committee in Charlottesville, VA in December 2013 for final funding decisions. Click on the "Apply for Funds" button below for more information.
What are other national elements of the i6 Challenge?
The i6 Challenge is an innovation competition that seeks to identify and support the nation’s best ideas for technology commercialization and entrepreneurship throughout six different regions of the country. One of only seven multi-institution initiatives to win federal funding as part of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s i6 Challenge in 2012, the Virginia Innovation Partnership will bring together universities, community colleges, corporations, investment capital and other resources to drive promising research discoveries forward. Led by the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Economic Development Administration (EDA), the i6 Challenge awards projects that include efforts to drive innovative technologies in the medical and bioscience industries to market more quickly. More information: www.eda.gov/challenges/i6/.
This year’s winners:
- Las Cruces, NM - The Arrowhead Center will build upon Launch, New Mexico State University’s recently established proof of concept center, to develop the Arrowhead Innovation Network.
- Tampa, FL - The FirstWaVE Venture Center will serve the eight-county Tampa Bay region with a five-year goal of helping at least 50 Florida-based start-up companies secure $500,000 in early-stage/angel funding in order to help them grow into viable tech companies.
- Crane, IN - Southern Indiana Development Commission and the Battery Innovation Center Inc. will establish an Energy Storage Proof of Concept Center.
- Madison, WI - The Wisconsin Innovates for Success Proof of Concept Center will commercialize the research being conducted at the University of Wisconsin – Madison’s Center for Dairy Research.
- Kansas City, MO - The Digital Sandbox Proof of Concept Center will create a new process for commercialization in Kansas City by clustering digital innovation in a central hub and providing the needed technology infrastructure.
- Charlottesville, VA - The Virginia Innovation Partnership - a partnership among all of the state's more than 20 Universities and colleges - will lead proof of concept projects throughout the state of Virginia.
- Davis, CA - The University of California, Davis and the Sacramento Area Regional Technology Alliance (SARTA) will partner to create a Proof of Concept Center to catalyze the commercialization of sustainable agriculture technologies in the six-county Sacramento region.
Obama Administration Announces Winners of i6 Challenge Competition to Promote Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Job Creation. Press release.