Levels of Review
Determination of Exemption
See also Exempt Criteria
- If the investigator feels the project meet the criteria for exempt determination, he/she should submit an Exempt application to the IRB-HSR office. The application is obtained via Protocol Builder. In order to fulfill requirements for the proper review of research, investigators cannot "self-exempt" from IRB review.
- Studies that meet the DHHS exemption criteria do not necessarily mean that the investigator is exempt from informed consent or HIPAA requirements.
- The exemption granted is only for the protocol as written at the time of the initial review when the decision to exempt was determined.
- Investigators who conduct research exempt from IRB oversight must report any changes that may alter the study in such a way that it no longer exempt from additional review (e.g. now keeping identifiers with the data)
Exempt Reviewers Responsibilities and Process
- Determination of exempt status will be performed by an experienced IRB staff member.
- Research will be determined to be exempt only when the sole involvement of human subjects will be in one or more of the categories listed in 45 CFR 46.101(b)(1-6) or 21 CFR 56.104(a-d).
- The IRB will document the review and action of the IRB staff member including the category specified in 45 CFR 46.101(b)(1-6) or 21 CFR 56.104(a-d) justifying the classification of exemption.
- The IRB will promptly notify the PI in writing/email of its decision regarding the research.
- If it is determined that the research is not exempt or if modifications are required such as submission of a consent document or strengthening of protections in place to minimize risks to participants, the IRB will include in its written notification a statement of the reason for its decision and give the PI an opportunity to respond in person or in writing. Final approval of exempt research is pending resolution of all minor modifications identified by the IRB reviewer.
- If the IRB staff member determines that an application does not qualify for exemption, the application will be processed either through Expedited Review or by Full Board review. The PI will be notified and instructed to return to Protocol Builder and re-answer the questions and subsequently submit a new application.
Proceed to Protocol Builder. Answer the questions appropriately. When you get to the question- "Does this study meet exempt approval criteria?" Answer the question YES. Protocol Builder will then provide you with the appropriate documents to complete.