To: All U.Va. Students
From: Patricia M. Lampkin
Subject: Please celebrate safely and responsibly
For many students, this weekend will be a chance to celebrate before classes end and exams begin. Please make plans to keep yourself and your friends safe.
If you attend the Foxfield Races, you will notice the same increase in law enforcement that was present last year. As you know, this is not a U.Va.-sponsored event. The three agencies with a significant presence at the event the Virginia State Police, the Virginia Department of Alcohol Beverage Control, and the Albemarle County Police are continuing their efforts to provide a safe environment for spectators attending the races and to deter and detect crime specifically alcohol-related offenses. These three agencies will be monitoring the crowd closely and citing those who engage in illegal activities.
In addition to making sure you bring enough water, food and sunscreen to the event, consider the following ways to stay safe on Saturday:
Public transportation will be available on Saturday to travel between the Grounds and Foxfield. No one should take the risk of drinking and driving. Charlottesville Transportation Services (CTS) buses will run on 15-minute schedules before and after the races.
* Cost: $10 roundtrip (cash only, no change provided)
* FREE return to the Grounds after the races for any student
* Times: 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (to Foxfield),
- 3:30 to 7 p.m. (return to the Grounds). Go to the West Gate entrance on Garth Road (the one closest to general admission parking).
* Note: No alcohol is allowed on the CTS buses, and riders can only bring coolers that will fit under the seats.
* Pick-up and drop-off points on the Grounds:
- Student Activities Building at Scott Stadium
- McCormick Road near the Chapel
- The Park, near the JAG School
GETTING MEDICAL HELP
* Above all, please seek medical attention if you believe it may be needed. Do not leave a friend to “sleep it off.”
* The first-aid stations are staffed by U.Va. Emergency Department personnel. Look for the large flag with a green first-aid cross. The three locations are:
a. West Gate, next to the airplane hangar
b. Orange Student Section, just after you cross over from the general parking area
c. Green Section, just after the crossing gate from the Orange section.
* If you have concerns about a friend’s immediate well-being, call 911. Tell the 911 dispatcher that you are calling from the Foxfield Races and that you need medical attention. Make sure you have your plot location (a letter and number combination found on the parking tag). Medical personnel will come to your plot.
We care about you. Please be smart and make sure your chance to celebrate does not end in tragedy or regrets.
For more tips on enjoying a safe Foxfield, including a map of the first-aid tent locations, please see <http://www.virginia.edu/case/documents/07Foxfieldsafety.pdf>
E-mail comments to:
Last Modified: Thursday, 23-Aug-2007 10:12:18 EDT
© Copyright 2014 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia