Date: August 12, 2008
To: Parents of New Students
From: Patricia M. Lampkin, Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer
Subject: Move-In Day Reminders
Dear Parents of New Students:
Summer is almost over, and in just a few days we look forward to welcoming you and your daughter or son to the University of Virginia.
Move-In Day is Saturday, August 23.
Please note a few reminders and last-minute thoughts as you prepare for this important day:
* President Casteen will be speaking to parents from 1 to 2 p.m. in Old Cabell Hall. Refreshments will be served. We hope you will take a break to enjoy this official welcome from the President.
* Check-in for Move-In Day begins at 8 a.m. Student Greeters will be on hand until 3 p.m. in the first-year residential areas and in Gooch-Dillard to help you unpack your car. Information Technology and Communication (ITC) staff will be available to help with computer questions. A number of other University officials will be circulating throughout the Grounds.
* On Saturday, check-in takes place at each hall or complex from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. At 5 p.m., check-in moves to the Echols House key room. First-year students should remember that they are expected to be present for mandatory hall meetings and dinner on Saturday at 6 p.m.
* If you will be driving to Charlottesville via Route 29-South, please be aware that traffic will be detoured for bridge work near the Fauquier County line, adding an estimated 20 to 30 minutes of travel time. (See additional details from the Virginia Department of Transportation.)
* To make the move-in job easier, you may want to pack a dolly or handcart, tape measure, and tool box. Also remember to wear comfortable shoes and to bring water so you will stay hydrated on what is always a hot day.
* Another suggestion is to pack the fan last so you can set it up as soon as you enter the room.
* Cold treats will be available at the Aquatic and Fitness Center from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
* If you plan to stay overnight in Charlottesville after moving in your student, please drop by Alderman Library for a Parent-Student Breakfast on Sunday morning, August 24, from 10 a.m. to noon.
* Move-In Day Survey: The Housing Division strives to provide the best experience possible on opening day. Once you get back home, please take a few moments to let Housing know how your day went by completing the Opening Survey for Parents, available via a link from the Housing home page. Your comments and time are greatly appreciated.
You will find more reminders and details about Move-In Day on the University Housing Web site. Be sure to check "Opening Resources" for a number of helpful tips:
* For First-Year Students
During Orientation, you may have heard about a new online, interactive course, "Alcohol-Wise." Later this week you will receive an e-mail from Dean Allen Groves with more information about the program, including an invitation for you to take the course. New students are being asked to complete the course before they arrive on August 23, or by September 5 at the very latest.
This course is one of many ways in which we look forward to supporting your student and making the move to U.Va. a positive one.
We look forward to the arrival of your sons and daughters on August 23, and we wish you well as you pack and prepare for this transition.
Safe travels and warm regards,
Patricia M. Lampkin
Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer
E-mail comments to:
Last Modified: Tuesday, 22-Jun-2010 10:44:14 EDT
© Copyright 2013 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia