Date: Aug 11, 2009
To: Parents of new students
From: Patricia M. Lampkin, Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer
Subject: Move-in day reminders
Dear Parents of New Students:
The big day is almost here. In a little less than two weeks, we will be welcoming you and your daughter or son to the University of Virginia.
Move-In Day is Saturday, August 22. You can find the schedule online. In addition, please see Housing’s opening newsletter, with complete details about moving into the residence halls.
Here are a few reminders and last-minute thoughts as you prepare for this important day:
- President Casteen will be speaking to parents from 1 to 2 p.m. in Old Cabell Hall. Refreshments will be served. We hope you will take a break to enjoy this official welcome from the President.
- Checking-in: New students can begin checking in at their residence halls at 8 a.m. on Move-In Day. Student Greeters will be on hand until 3 p.m. to help you unpack your car. Information Technology and Communication (ITC) staff will be available to help with computer questions. A number of other University officials will be circulating throughout the Grounds.
- Late arrivals: Check-in takes place at each hall or complex from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. At 5 p.m., check-in moves to the Echols House key room. First-year students should remember that they are expected to be present for mandatory hall meetings and dinner on Saturday at 6 p.m.
- To make the move-in job easier, you may want to pack a dolly or handcart, tape measure, and tool box. Also remember to wear comfortable shoes and to bring water so you will stay hydrated on what is always a hot day.
- Another suggestion: pack the fan last so you can set it up as soon as you enter the room.
- Cold treats will be available at the Aquatic and Fitness Center from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- If you need lodging for move-in weekend (or for Family Weekend from Oct. 16 to 18), one option to consider is Sponsors Executive Residence Center. The center is conveniently located on the U.Va. Grounds and provides a complimentary continental breakfast and parking. For more information, see the Web site or call 434/243-5000.
- Move-In Day Survey: The Housing Division strives to provide the best experience possible on opening day. Once you get back home, please take a few moments to let Housing know how your day went by completing the Opening Survey for Parents, available via a link from the Housing home page. Your comments and time are greatly appreciated.
During Orientation, you may have heard about the online, interactive course, “Alcohol-Wise.” Later this week you will receive an e-mail from Dean Allen Groves with more information about the program, including an invitation for parents to take the course. New students are being asked to complete the course before they arrive on August 22 (or by the first day of classes for transfer students).
This course is one of many ways in which we look forward to supporting your son or daughter and making the move to U.Va. a positive one.
We eagerly anticipate your arrival on August 22, and we wish you well as you pack and prepare for this transition.
Safe travels and warm regards,
Patricia M. Lampkin
Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer