Date: February 6, 2013
To: All U.Va. Students
From: Dr. James C. Turner, Student Health
Re: Message about Bacterial Meningitis
I am writing to inform you that one of our students has been diagnosed with bacterial meningitis. The student, who received prompt treatment, is expected to recover. Friends and close contacts of the student have been notified so they can receive any needed medical attention.
Bacterial meningitis is a very serious disease. College students are especially susceptible to contracting this disease because of their crowded living, learning, and social environments. Approximately 15 percent of cases are fatal. Up to 20 percent of survivors experience brain damage or other serious complications.
Bacterial meningitis is transmitted through direct, close contact with an infected individual, specifically through respiratory or oral secretions, which can contain the meningitis bacteria. Such contact would include sharing a drink, eating utensil, smoking materials, toothbrush, kissing, and living in the same room. On the other hand, transmission of bacterial meningitis does NOT occur with casual contact, such as being in the same room, hugging, talking, or sitting next to an infected person.
Symptoms suggestive of bacterial meningitis include high fever, severe headache, stiff neck, and/or a new skin rash.
The following are ways to prevent bacterial meningitis:
If you have any questions or concerns or are worried about a potential exposure, please call Student Health's nursing staff at (434) 982-3914.
If you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above, please report immediately to Student Health (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday 8:30 - noon) or go to the Emergency Room at University Hospital (available 24 hours a day).
James C. Turner, M.D.
E-mail comments to:
Last Modified: Wednesday, 06-Feb-2013 13:23:32 EST
© Copyright 2013 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia