Date: October 23, 2013
To: All University Students
Earlier this year, on the morning of Jan. 21, the students living in a house on Wertland Street were awakened by rocks hitting against their windows. Flames had begun to engulf their front porch, and sanitation workers on their morning rounds raced to alert the sleeping students. All 11 students who were home at the time luckily managed to escape, but their possessions, including their cars, were destroyed.
The students involved in the fire reflect on this horrific experience in the following video:
With National Fire Prevention Week occurring this month, now is a good time to review basic fire safety, especially if you live off Grounds. This week and next, representatives of the Charlottesville Fire Department, along with UVa's Office of Environmental Health and Safety and the Charlottesville Property Maintenance office, are conducting a door-to-door "Stop and Knock" campaign in the areas where students live off Grounds. They will be dropping off fire safety brochures and reminding students of available services. "Stop and Knock" is taking place from 4 to 6 p.m. on the following days: Oct. 24, 29, and 30.
As highlighted in the video, sofas and upholstered furniture on porches pose a serious fire risk. The combination of upholstery and open air can quickly fuel a fire from a dropped cigarette or ashes, yet no fire detection system is typically available on a porch, balcony, or other outside location. Please take steps now to remove sofas and upholstered furniture from outside your house or apartment.
Even if you don't live off Grounds, practicing fire safety and knowing what to do in the event of a fire can help avert potential disaster and loss of life.
Patricia M. Lampkin
E-mail comments to:
Last Modified: Thursday, 24-Oct-2013 09:01:46 EDT
© Copyright 2013 by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia