(Academical Village Map, [A3])
The Colonnade Hotel, also called Hotel E, contains meeting rooms and dining options for students, faculty and staff. Located on the far southwest corner of Jefferson's original Range, this hotel was, like many of the others, built as a student dining hall. It lasted in that capacity into the 1880s, with an annex added in 1846. Some of its rooms served as early classrooms in architecture. By the 1930s, women attending the University -- graduate students, transfers seeking special subjects, wives and daughters of professors -- gathered for tea in the "Coed Room" established for them in Hotel E. From the 1950s through the 1970s, the building housed a Graduate Student Center. In 2004 student dining returned to Hotel E with the opening of the West Range Café, serving students, faculty and staff.