(Map A, Building 3 [F3])
Brooks Hall is home to the Anthropology Department, which offers undergraduate and graduate study with specializations in sociocultural anthropology, archaeology, and linguistic anthropology. The building was funded by a gift of $45,000 from textile manufacturer Lewis Brooks of Rochester, N.Y. Completed in 1877, Brooks Hall was the first University building given by an individual donor. It opened as a “cabinet of Natural Science” -- a museum that included models of a mammoth and a dinosaur. The museum was closed in the 1940s. Late in the 20th century, the building generated controversy because its style differed so radically from the Jeffersonian tradition. In the 1970s, Brooks Hall's demolition was planned, but public reaction stopped it.