(Map G, Building 33 [F1])
Morea House is used for meetings and gatherings. It was built in 1834-35, and is believed to have been designed by John P. Emmet, one of the University's original faculty members. Emmet, a professor of natural history, moved into this house when he retired and moved from his Lawn pavilion. He was an enthusiastic horticulturist and attempted to raise silkworms on his grounds. The house's name comes from the Latin morus, or mulberry, for the trees he planted for the silkworms. Morea's garden includes an arboretum planted by the Albemarle Garden Club in 1963.