(Map A, #14 [B4])
Originally, six buildings stood on Dawson's Row, constructed by the University as student dormitories in 1859. The neighborhood was named for Martin Dawson, who in 1835 had given the University 500 acres to be harvested for firewood -- the first donation to the University other than books. That land was sold and its proceeds used to build the six dormitories. Those buildings stood into the 20th century but were demolished by the 1950s. The buildings now bearing the Dawson's Row address stood near the originals.
Dawson's Row includes: