(Map C, Building 10 [C4])
The McIntire Department of Art, which includes the undergraduate program in studio art and undergraduate and graduate programs in art history, is housed in Fayerweather Hall. Originally constructed as Fayerweather Gymnasium, the building was funded by a gift of $30,000 from New York shoe manufacturer Daniel B. Fayerweather and designed in 1892-94 by Norfolk architect John Kevan Peebles (Col 1890) and James R. Carpenter. Fayerweather was considered one of the best equipped university athletic facilities in the South, with one of the longest indoor tracks in the nation. When Memorial Gymnasium replaced it in 1924, the building was remodeled to accommodate the McIntire School of Fine Arts, later the McIntire Department of Art.