(Map E, Building 17 [E2])
The School of Law offers J.D., LL.M., and S.J.D. degrees to several hundred students each year. It currently occupies two buildings. The west wing was built as the Darden School, designed by Hugh Stubbins & Associates with W. E. Stainback (Col '28) and Louie L. Scribner (Col '29) and completed in 1974. Clay Hall, the entrance building and east wing, was completed in 1997 and named for Buckner Clay, Sr. (Law 1900), of Charleston, W.Va. His sons, Lyell and Buckner Clay, donated $2 million to the Law School in honor of their father. Caplin Pavilion, a new auditorium, is named for Mortimer Caplin (Col '37, Law '40), commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service during the Kennedy administration and a generous benefactor of the University.