(Map A, [C4])
The McIntire Theatre (often called the McIntire Amphitheatre) is used today mainly for student gatherings and occasional musical events. It was designed by Fiske Kimball, architect, architectural historian, and head of the Architecture School. Funded by and named for Charlottesville philanthropist Paul Goodloe McIntire, the theatre was completed in 1921. University President Alderman and McIntire intended the theatre as a site for numerous cultural events. Its first use was for the University's centennial exercises in 1921, attended by University alumnus and U.S. President Woodrow Wilson.