(Map A, Building 31 [C4])Virtual Tour
Cabell Hall currently houses a number of departments of the College of Arts & Sciences. The building includes an auditorium with exceptionally fine acoustics that seats 994. In the auditorium is a Skinner organ, a gift of Andrew Carnegie in 1906, dedicated during a recital by Samuel Baldwin in 1907 and refurbished in 1995. A recent addition to Cabell Hall is an eleven-panel mural by Lincoln Perry, The Student's Progress, completed in 2000. Originally called the Academical Building, Cabell Hall was designed by Stanford White of McKim, Mead and White, and completed in 1898. It replaced the Rotunda Annex, built in the 1850s and destroyed in the fire of 1895. One element copied from the Annex was the mural of Raphael's famous painting, The School of Athens. Cabell Hall served to close the south end of the Lawn, facing the Rotunda on the north end. The building is named for Joseph C. Cabell, a friend of Jefferson and advocate for the University in the state legislature.