(Map A, Building 35 [D4])
The major renovation of Rouss Hall and the construction of the adjoining Robertson Hall created a new academic complex to house the McIntire School of Commerce. The project began in April 2005 and concluded in December 2007. Rouss Hall, originally the Physical Laboratory, was designed by Stanford White. It opened in 1898 and is named for the principal donor, Charles Broadway Rouss, a New York City merchant. John A. Griffin (COMM '85) made the lead gift for Robertson Hall and suggested the building's name to honor the legacy of distinguished financier Julian H. Robertson Jr. and his wife, Josie. The 132,000-square-foot Robertson Hall adjoins Rouss Hall, creating a 156,000-square-foot academic complex adjacent to Thomas Jefferson's historic Lawn.