(Academical Village Map, [C3])
The oldest building on the Lawn, Pavilion VII, is also called the Colonnade Club and serves as a faculty club today, with reception facilities and overnight guest rooms. Its upper-floor, one-story Doric portico tops and arcaded first floor. Many of Pavilion VII's design features -- the deep gallery, upper and lower center doors, triple-sash "walk-out" windows, and lattice railings -- were incorporated into the other pavilions. President James Monroe laid the cornerstone for Pavilion VII on October 6, 1817, with former presidents James Madison and Thomas Jefferson also attending the ceremony. The brick pavilion, designed by Jefferson, was the first structure in his "academical village." An addition was built in 1912, and the building was restored to much of its original grandeur between 1998 and 2001. The garden behind Pavilion VII was designed by noted landscape architect Alden Hopkins. Click here for a virtual walking tour of the University's gardens. Visit Academical Village Central.