Skip to Content

Lockouts and Lost Keys: Frequently Asked Questions

Here is a list of our most frequently asked questions. If you find that your question has not been answered, please Contact Us.

1. What do I do if I'm locked out?

If you are locked out of your room during the following hours, you may come to the Borrowed Key Room and borrow a key:

  • Academic year hours:
    • Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to midnight
    • Saturday and Sunday: 4:00 p.m. to midnight
  • When classes are not in session:
    • Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Borrowed Key Room is located on the ground floor of Echols House - please enter from the rear parking lot. You MUST have either a student ID or another photo ID (driver's license, state ID or military ID). If you do not have your ID, you may bring another student AND their student ID to vouch for you.

If you are locked out after Key Room hours, call the Facilities Service Desk (434-924-3053). Your call will automatically be forwarded to Systems Control, and an emergency call-back person will be dispatched to your location. You MUST show this person your ID and you will be billed a $75.00 fee.

2. Can I just give you my ID number or show you my checkbook to borrow a key?

No, you must have your student ID/photo ID or another student with their student ID. There are no exceptions.

3. Can my parents borrow my key for me?

Under NO circumstances will we issue a key to anyone except for the legal residents of that room.

4. When do I need to return a borrowed key?

All borrowed keys are due back by midnight unless checked out after 11:00 p.m., in which case the key is due back by noon the following day. If the borrowed key is not returned on time, the key is automatically assumed lost and all affected locks will be changed. The borrower will be responsible for all costs incurred.

5. What do I do if I have lost my key?

In accordance with our security policy, if your key is lost all affected locks must be changed regardless of the circumstances surrounding the loss. Report the lost key(s) using the online lock change request. Your student account will be billed $100.00 per lock.

Stolen keys should be reported to the University Police. The lock change will be made at no charge to the victim, as long as a copy of the police report is provided to the Housing & Residence Life Office within 24 hours.

Locks are usually changed within the same day. You and your roommate(s) will need to come to the Key Room and sign for your new room keys. You MUST have ID to pick up your new keys. No exceptions.

6. I lost my ID. Can I borrow one from the Key Room?

You must immediately report your lost ID, then go the ID Card Office on the first floor of O-Hill Dining to purchase a replacement. Please refer to the University ID Card Office for information.

If you lose your ID between 5:00 p.m. and midnight during the academic year, you may come to the Key Room to receive a temporary access card. You will need to get a permanent replacement card from the ID Office and return the temporary card to Access Control on the next business day.

If you are locked out after Key Room hours, you can use the emergency blue phones to call a roommate to let you in or call Systems Control (434-924-3053). If Systems Control is called, there is a $75.00 fee for call-back staff to respond.

7. Do you have temporary mail keys?

No. If you have lost your mail key, you will need to report it online and we will issue you a new one. The cost for a replacement key is $3.00.

8. My room/suite door lock is not working properly, who do I call?

Place a work order to report the problem during normal business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If it is after business hours, or a weekend or holiday, please call 434-924-3053; your call will automatically be forwarded to Systems Control for response by emergency call-back staff.