Colonel Steven T. Hiss: Commander
Col Steven T. Hiss is Commander, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Detachment 890 at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. He commands a detachment of seven cadre and 150 cadets located at the University of Virginia, Liberty University, James Madison University, and Piedmont Valley Community College.
Col Hiss was commissioned into the U.S. Air Force in 1986 as a distinguished graduate of Purdue University's ROTC program. Following pilot training, he served as a T-38 Instructor Pilot and Wing Executive Officer at Columbus AFB, Miss. He transitioned to the B-1B in 1991, serving operational tours at Grand Forks AFB, N.D., Ellsworth AFB, S.D., Mt. Home AFB, Idaho, and Dyess AFB, Texas. He also served as aide-de-camp to the Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Joint Forces Command and Supreme Allied Commander, Atlantic. Col Hiss commanded the 436th Training Squadron at Dyess AFB and served as a Deputy Division Chief and Division Chief on the Air Staff. Most recently, he served as Vice Commander of the 28th Bomb Wing at Ellsworth AFB, S.D., the largest operational B-1B wing in the Air Force. He has deployed numerous times in support of Operations Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, and Enduring Freedom.
Col Hiss is command pilot with more than 3,700 flight hours in the B-1B and T-38.
1986 Bachelor of Science Degree, Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Ind.
1991 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master of Science Engineering Degree, Industrial & Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
2001 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kan.
2006 Masters Degree (Academic Distinction), Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- Sep 1986 – Oct 1987, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
- October 1987 – July 1991, T-38 Instructor Pilot, Squadron Executive Officer and Wing Executive Officer, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus AFB, Miss.
- Jul 1991 – Dec 1991, B-1 Initial Qualification Course, Dyess AFB, Texas
- Jan 1992 – Mar 1994, B-1 Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot, and Strike Planner, 46th Bomb Squadron and 319th Operations Support Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
- Mar 1994 – Aug 1995, Chief, Standardization/Evaluation and B-1 Evaluator Pilot, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
- Aug 1995 – May 1996, Graduate Student, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- May 1996 – Oct 1997, Flight Commander and Assistant Operations Officer, 34th Bomb Squadron, Mt. Home AFB, Idaho
- Oct 1997 – Jun 2000, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Joint Forces Command and Supreme Allied Commander, Atlantic, Norfolk Naval Base, Va.
- Jun 2000 – Jun 2001, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kan.
- Jun 2001 – Jul 2003, Assistant Director of Flying Training and Assistant Director of Operations, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
- Jul 2003 – Jun 2005, Commander, 436th Training Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
- Jun 2005 – May 2006, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- Jun 2006 – May 2009, Deputy Division Chief and Division Chief, Directorate of Strategic Planning, Headquarters, U.S. Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- May 2009 – Jun 2012, Vice Commander, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
- Jun 2012 – Present, Commander, Air Force ROTC Detachment 890, University of Virginia
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 3,700
Aircraft Flown: B-1B and T-38
Major Awards and Decorations
- Legion of Merit
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with five oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Outstanding Graduate, Air War College
- Air Force Association Medal of Merit
- Chairman, Air Training Command and Strategic Air Command Representative, Air Force Association Junior Officer Advisory Council, 1990-1992
- Air Force Association National Board of Directors, 1985-1986 and 1990-1992
- Daedalian Award, Undergraduate Pilot Training Class 88-01, Columbus AFB
- National Commander, Arnold Air Society, 1985-1986
Effective Dates of Promotion
Second Lieutenant July 9, 1986
First Lieutenant July 9, 1988
Captain July 9, 1990
Major April 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2002
Colonel Feb. 1, 2008