Academic women in STEM fields have relatively few opportunities to discuss how race, ethnicity, gender and culture influence how they define themselves, and are defined by others. This silence about the reality of difference may not only keep women from getting to know each other, but also impact their ability to establish and sustain professional interactions and collaborations.
The goal of this workshop is to foster meaningful engagement across difference, in an environment that will encourage deep listening, reflection and open inquiry.
- explore similarities and differences in their experiences of being in STEM fields
- identify their own effective efforts to collaborate across borders
- develop facilitation skills that enhance their ability to work with difference, disagreement, and conflict, learning to view them as opportunities for deeper understanding and transformation
- enhance their communication and leadership skills, as well as their awareness and ability to engage issues of difference and diversity in their classrooms and laboratories
- identify actions they can take on individually, or in alliance with others, to broaden and advance the participation of women in STEM fields.
|3:00 - 4:00 PM||
Registration and Check-in
|4:30 - 8:30 PM||
Dinner and Critical Incident Facilitated Discussion
Participants will begin the intergroup dialogue process through an exploration of stories related to the visibility of difference.
Participants will use intergroup dialogue to explore social group identity, conflict and community in order to generate a more complex understanding of the issues at hand, build alliances and bring about social change.
Building Strong Mentoring Networks
Developing strong and effective mentoring relationships is one of the most important, yet often overlooked, markers of individual success within academe. Participants will explore strategies for building and cultivating relationships with individuals or groups who can share knowledge, offer encouragement, provide feedback, and connect you with people, resources and opportunities.
Dinner & Wrap-up