Crafting a Vision Statement for Public Service and Outreach
Phase ISummary of Retreat Brainstorming
This document attempts to summarize phrases and thoughts from the wall sheets created
by the small groups during our February 23, 2000 retreat.
Thoughts on Language
"Our/Your" University vs. "The" University. Also suggested was
"The Public University." Consensus seemed to be against the use of "The
What is "community?" What is the definition of a community "well
served?" What do we consider the "university community?"
Commonwealth vs. Common Wealth
Values: What would we like to be known for?
- Excellenceworld-class model in what we do
- Symbiotic community relationship
- Responsiveness to public needs & problems
- Lifelong learning
- Individual success
- Community success
Aspirations Statements for the Year 2020
These aspiration statements attempt to capture what wed like to be able to say
(or have others say) about the University of Virginia in 2020. As you read the statements,
please help the commission move forward by doing three things:
- Clarify any misinterpretations that contradict what you remember from your small
groups discussion. Keep in mind that some of the statements reflect the work of
several small groups and may not be worded exactly as you remember.
- Add important concepts not currently listed.
- Identify the three statements that strike you as most powerful and most significant. If
we could only say three things about the University of Virginia in 2020, what should those
three things be?
- The University of Virginia is the premier public university engaged in improving the
health, educational, and economic well being of all people.
- The University of Virginia empowers the citizens of Virginia to pursue their dreams by
helping them realize their potential.
- The University of Virginia engages with the global community to combat poverty,
ignorance, injustice, crime, and disease.
- The University of Virginia is a good neighbor to its local and state communities.
- The University of Virginia inspires the desire for lifelong learning and service in its
graduates by providing service-learning opportunities for students in all academic
- The University of Virginia, through its focused public service efforts, ensures that the
citizens of Charlottesville and the Commonwealth enjoy a quality of life second to no
other community in the United States.
- Citizens of Charlottesville and the Commonwealth of Virginia take pride in the
University of Virginia; they feel connected to its work and recognize its contributions to
- The higher education community in Virginia, including other universities, colleges, and
community colleges, sees the University of Virginia as a partner in creating, applying,
and disseminating new knowledge and technology to address important social issues.
- Our society is wiser, healthier, richer, and more peaceful because of the work of the
faculty, students, staff, and alumni of the University of Virginia.
- Public service at the University of Virginia is delivered at the same world-class level
as teaching and research.
- The University of Virginia saves and improves lives.
- The University of Virginia is an open resource, accessible and responsive to a diverse
public of all ages, races, and backgrounds.
- The University of Virginia has taken strategic and courageous actions to counter its own
history and has worked to remove the barriers that prevent individuals and communities
from improving their quality of life.
- The University of Virginia creates moral, passionate citizen-leaders who are committed
to influencing and shaping society positively.
- The University of Virginia is a leader in shaping public policy and employing it to
address societys most pressing problems.
- Teaching, research, and service are so comprehensively integrated that all are highly
valued and rewarded.
- The University of Virginias innovative, responsive leadership through service
makes it worthy of public and private investment.
- The University of Virginia is globally recognized for expertise and engagement in public
- As a flagship institution in the Commonwealth, the University of Virginia assumes moral
responsibility for leadership and ethics in public policy.